Hi all,

Just updated my new S5 to Lollipop and while I love the features I have to say I'm a little disappointed by some performance issues and bugs. Performance on my device at least seems to slow down over time until I reboot which suggests a memory or resource leak of some kind. Anyone else had problems and found fixes?

Barry

P.S. Hello and nice to meet you :-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-20-2015 08:29 AM
    Hi Barry,

I had the same problem and came across your post while googling for a solution. My s5 was performing terribly after updating to lollipop. Long screen lags, messaging crashing, battery usage through the roof. I found an article that solved the problem. You basically need to wipe the cache partition, which I did this morning and it's been fine since.

I can't share links yet (just created an account to answer your question) but if you search for "S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide" you'll see the article (but note, they've got the key combination wrong for booting into Recovery mode. See my corrected steps below.

Step #1 Turn your phone OFF.
    Step #2 Boot into Recovery Mode:- Press and hold, simultaneously, the Volume UP, Home (bottom centre hard key ) + Power buttons until you see some small, blue, writing appear in the top left hand corner of the screen and release immediately.
    Step #3 You will then see the small, stock, Recovery menu. Using the Volume UP and DOWN buttons, navigate to the menu item, "wipe cache", or, "wipe cache partition", depending on your model.
    Step #4 Once the option is highlighted you can use the Power key to enact the wipe and reboot your phone.

Hope that helps.

Chris
    01-21-2015 05:40 AM
    You could also install a trash cleaner off the Play Store to empty your cache

Posted
    01-21-2015 07:43 AM
    Thanks, I probably found probably the same article :-)

It's worked, but seems like a temporary fix. I've found that the screen starts to lag and general performance degrades with time and use. Rebooting does usually solve that issue! Also deleting or disabling large unnecessary apps has helped a lot. Also found a way to stabilise the WiFi! There's a mode [under WiFi] that switches it from mobile network to WiFi and also between 2.4 & 5 Gjz. Switching that off seems to make it more stable and it doesn't drop the connection as much. It's odd because the signal was reading as "strong".

If I come across anything else I'll post here!

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-05-2015 09:40 PM