Hello everyone,
    the question is more of general interest, but here's the background that struck me:
    Some time ago, I didn't recharche my Galaxy S2 in time and the battery died during the night. When I turned it back on, the SD card was unrecognized and had to be formatted.
    Similar thing happened again just now, this time after a crash, he SD card was devestated and plenty GB gone or down to 0KB files.
    Can anyone tell me if that's "normal", or will it not happen with quality SD cards (this one is from Hama), or has the phone anything to do with this, can current phones prevent this better?
    I wonder now if my next phone should have more internal storage or if SD card is generally safe enough - losing a couple of GB is not a nice experience.
    Thanks for any help or pointers.
    01-23-2015 06:29 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! A couple of different factors here. SD cards can be of different quality, and there can also be counterfeits as well. Always buy from reputable retailers, not random online sellers on eBay. You can also run SD Insight, which will tell you if the card is what it says it is.

Some phones also seem to have more problems than others with SD cards. Samsung seems to be more prone to error. I say this a lot, and people might think I have some kind of vendetta with Samsung, but it's simply based on the volume of problems I see on these forums. You are correct, it is generally better to get a device with as much internal storage as you can afford--not just because of the potential for SD corruption, but also because of the fact that the number of apps you can install is dependent more on how much internal storage you have, rather than whether you can add an SD card.
    01-24-2015 01:30 AM
    [I'm the OP]
    Thanks for the info so far, interesting, and frightening, that you found Samsung to be more error prone. After all, I guess I'll not get around it anyway (I'll stay with Samsung).
    And switching from my S2's 2GB partition for Apps to some 16GB model should work for a while, for apps at least.
    ...SD Insight is good idea, too, thx.
    01-24-2015 05:55 PM