Why can't I edit contacts on Nexus 4 after Android 5.0.1 Lollipop uprgrade?

A

AC Question

Why can't I edit contacts on Nexus 4 after Android 5.0.1 Lollipop uprgrade

I just received and upgraded my Nexus 4 to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop, and other than adjusting to the new interface, everything seemed fine. However, I just added a new contact in my phone book, but wanted to edit it after and can't. Previously when I touched on the contact it would offer me the speed dial star, the edit pencil and the three dot extras. Now it has replaced the pencil with a plus person/add to contact...but this is after I added this new contact. As a confirmation, I added a fictitious person and number, and now can't remove them from my phone book. I'm looking for some helpful feedback if anyone has experienced this or knows what I might be able to do.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why can't I edit contacts on Nexus 4 after Android 5.0.1 Lollipop uprgrade

Try long-pressing the contact.

At worst, try a different contact app, like Go Contacts. Or (and all your contacts should be enterd as Google Account contacts), edit them on Google Contacts.

3P0

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Tried long-pressing the contact, but nothing happens and I wasn't synced when I added my most recent contact, so it isn't on my Google contacts.
Also, that's a bit annoying since I used to be able to with 4.4.4. I'm just hoping that there's someway to restore the ability to edit in the phone directory itself.

Posted via the Android Central App

3P0

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Rebelscan, I'm not sure how to take a screen shot (if I even can) and so I thought I might 'share' as this is one of the 'three dot' extras. I was given the option of Gmail, Bluetooth, Android beam or Drive. I figured Drive was my only option, but when I tried verifying by opening the file, I ended up adding multiple copies to my phone book/contact list. Now I have 10 copies of the same contact, all of which I can't edit, or remove. Aaaaaargh.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Rebelscan, I'm not sure how to take a screen shot (if I even can) and so I thought I might 'share' as this is one of the 'three dot' extras. I was given the option of Gmail, Bluetooth, Android beam or Drive. I figured Drive was my only option, but when I tried verifying by opening the file, I ended up adding multiple copies to my phone book/contact list. Now I have 10 copies of the same contact, all of which I can't edit, or remove. Aaaaaargh.

I'm not sure why exactly this is happening. I've never encountered such an issue. Does it happen with every contact or just the one?

3P0

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Only with the contacts added since the upgrade. Older contacts still offer the 'edit' pencil.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Only with the contacts added since the upgrade. Older contacts still offer the 'edit' pencil.

Try taking a screenshot, Power + Volume Down simultaneously.

3P0

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Try taking a screenshot, Power + Volume Down simultaneously.

Thanks for that, rebelscan. I always wondered how it was done.
The first is the new contact after upgrade, the second was added before.

Attachments

• 11463.jpg
    11463.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 11464.jpg
    11464.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 23

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

I don't think that this is an Android bug. It's a HTC bug. None of our Nexus devices have this problem.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Nt4

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It's not just a HTC bug. My MotoX is doing the same thing.

ed: fixed.
I exported the contacts.
Deleted the contacts on the phone... Clear Data. Had to clear data from contacts and messaging to make it all go away.
Then imported the contacts.

After all that I was able to edit, delete, and clean up the contacts.
Appears that no data was lost. yay!

Last edited:

judith18buckden

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
With thanks to Nt4 - I had the same issue on MotoG 1st Gen after upgrading to Lollipop. The fix worked like a dream - with no loss of contact data. After clearing data from Contacts and Contacts storage I had to reboot the phone before the Contacts app would load properly and import the saved contacts *.vcf file. Thanks again.

Reese Oattes

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I have this same issue with my S5. I find this "forced" upgrade, YES FORCED because I didn't accept it, to be AWFUL (there were other things removed with this upgrade but they are not for this thread). I ended up having to re-create several contacts just to edit them. I will try Nt4's suggestion. I would love to know who signed off on this upgrade because in my mind it's not even worthy of an Alpha-test designation let alone a GA rollout. :(

donnyhat55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on the HTC ONE M7 on Verizon wireless using Android 5.0.2, has anyone came up with a work around to this. Also if I go to my contacts in Google Mail and make corrections and then try to sync my contacts it does not sync with the new info at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox