Can I do anything with my phone's hangtime?

Kilva

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 is by far the best phone I've owned. Beanstalk custom rom, rooted, lots of good tools and all that.
I use Clean Master, I've zipaligned all my apps, I don't keep features like Bluetooth or location on, I rarely leave apps running and I restart it every so often.

I'm under the impression that I take good care of my phone, but there is still hangtime occasionally, and I notice it's usually when I open Google's messenger app from the notifications panel. Not always, however.

Back to the question - has there been anything created to perhaps lock the screen and/or play a sound when the hang is over, or something to that effect? It's gotten to the point where it's intrusive and if I try to wait it out without giving up, when I go to use it, the screen immediately times out and shuts off because of lack of use.
That's got to do with my settings though.

This seems a little farfetched, but so does fixing the hang on my phone without uninstalling all of my apps. I have the essentials for cleaning and yet it's still a problem.

Any thoughts at all or should I wait for Lollipop and hope for the best with the recreated runtime and reduced hang?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember, with Android, some apps are still in RAM, others have to be loaded from storage into RAM when you run them. If the messenger app is in RAM when you run it, it runs immediately. If the phone is busy writing to storage and has to load the messenger app from storage, there's going to be some lag. Unless a particular app always lags on loading, or a particular app always causes the next loaded app to lag, figuring out what's causing the lag is like the 7 blind men and the elephant, multiplied a few million times.

Will Lollipop cure it? I wouldn't let 5.0.2 near my phone. Maybe 5.0.9. Maybe not until 6.1. Google seems to need an exterminator on full time salary these days.

Kilva

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Nah I've read the 5.1 changelog and I'd say I'd entrust it to my main phone by then. 5.1 addresses most of not all complaints and bugs. I figure 5.2 if not 5.1.2 would cover anything else problematic.

So if I get what you're saying, while my phone is writing to storage is the worst time to start a new task? Would I see any benefit to identifying which apps and events write to storage and give them some margin time to do it's thing first?
Since I don't usually multitask I feel it would be easier to find the cause.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781