I have tried to talk to Sprint - they have NO clue even what I am talking about.
    Google has nothing.
    You are my last hope :{{

I have an ANDROID 4.1.2 phone - SOFTWARE VERSION – LS970ZVC
    Randomly (usually when on a call, or turning the backlight on) - I receive a message on screen:
    !EMPTY TAG
    THIS TAG CONTAINS NO INFORMATION
    It only offers an OK button. This happens randomly, and sometimes repeatedly.
    Can anyone guide me to what setting I need to update or fix?
    Michael
    01-27-2015 10:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? I'd guess it has something to do with NFC--that is, if your phone has an NFC chip in the first place. For devices with an NFC chip, you can program NFC tags that the phone's chip can recognize and cause it to do some kind of action (so for example, you could place an NFC tag in your car, and if you put the phone near that tag, the phone's NFC chip would detect it, know it's in a car, and perform some car-related action). That error message would suggest that the NFC chip is detecting something it thinks is a tag, but the tag is empty.

If you don't have any NFC tags lying around, make sure you don't have anything else around that might have an NFC chip, like a credit card.
    01-28-2015 12:28 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? I'd guess it has something to do with NFC--that is, if your phone has an NFC chip in the first place. For devices with an NFC chip, you can program NFC tags that the phone's chip can recognize and cause it to do some kind of action (so for example, you could place an NFC tag in your car, and if you put the phone near that tag, the phone's NFC chip would detect it, know it's in a car, and perform some car-related action). That error message would suggest that the NFC chip is detecting something it thinks is a tag, but the tag is empty.

If you don't have any NFC tags lying around, make sure you don't have anything else around that might have an NFC chip, like a credit card.

What is a tag?
    06-19-2016 08:06 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! An NFC tag is a little sticker with an embedded NFC chip that you can put on any item, and program to include certain data that can be automatically transferred to a phone if it's scanned Or it might be able to instruct the phone (using certain apps) to set up a location-based profile--for example, you could have an NFC tag in your car that, after placing the phone nearby, can let the phone know that it's inside your car, and then automatically start Driving Mode.

See here for more info: What's an NFC tag? | HowStuffWorks
    06-19-2016 09:45 PM
    So, how does one stop the phone from giving this message? Short of turning off the NFC function, I'm at a loss.
    10-03-2016 09:58 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! It shouldn't be giving you this message unless it detects a tag somewhere. Do you have NFC tags near the phone?
    10-03-2016 10:44 AM

Omg! Thank you so much! I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-06-2016 12:17 PM
    In my case for example, i realused that i was getting that message whenever the back of my phone was touching with something, either if that was the table or my phone case. So i went to the setting like suggested above and i clicked on more settings and there i found NFC i clicked on it and i saw that the phone said that it cab share information with other smartphones whenever you made them touch. Because my phone was touching the phonecase ( phone case has no information to share) i would get that message. I simply fixed it by yurning off that particular setting. So just find where the nfc settings in your phone are and turn off whatever is programmed there. I have the huaweii p9 lite) good luck!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-06-2016 12:22 PM
    Welcome to Android Central, and glad I could help! Do you have a phone case that also acts as a wallet? If so, the phone might be detecting the NFC chip in one of your credit cards or ID cards.
    12-06-2016 01:16 PM
    Oh yeah! That could be it then. Anyway the problem is fixed now so thank you!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-06-2016 05:09 PM