I've got an LG G3 which was working fine. I got a new 128GB SD card though and after I transferred my data from my old 16GB card to this as well as a load of music, the battery life on the phone became ridiculously poor. It only lasts maybe 5 hours if I'm lucky when it used to last all day, sometimes 2 if I didn't use it much.

I tried reformatting the SD card and left it empty for a while and the phone worked fine. When I went back and added my music again though (not the old Android files I'd added before) the battery went crazy again. The top of the phone gets warm too.

I know people have had this problem before, but the answers have always been a bit all over the place, so I thought I'd open a new one specifically for my problem.

Thanks
    01-28-2015 05:36 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I would suspect that one or more of the files became corrupted when transferred to the new card. A corrupt file causes the system's Media Scanner to get hung up on that file, scanning it over and over again (the Media Scanner looks for new media files to add to the various databases on the phone, like the ones for the Gallery and Music apps). If you look at Settings>Battery, you may see that Mediaserver is a top battery consumer in this situation. Or it might just be Android System, since Mediaserver might be included it that category.
    01-28-2015 11:17 AM
    * I posted the original question, but now I've set up an account.

That seems to be the common consensus (I've been looking around posted on another forum too). Yeah there's no Mediaserver listed, but Android OS is the major drain, with Android System pretty high too.

The trick now is to find which file is corrupt. I'm going to have to add chunks of music at a time. The problem is I have 100GB worth of tracks!

Cheers
    01-28-2015 05:19 PM
    Thanks for registering! The problem is that the file might be getting corrupted as it is copied to the SD card, so it might be a different file each time. How are you copying the files--by USB connection with the SD card inside the phone, or with the SD card inserted directly into the computer? Try doing the latter, since transferring files over USB to the SD seems to be more likely to cause issues. Also, when copying files to the SD card, try doing it in smaller batches of files, rather than one giant chunk--large transfers also seem to be more prone to corruption.
    01-28-2015 09:39 PM
    Thanks. Yeah I was doing it with the SD card in the computer. I've got a Mac so doing it through the phone involves using special software which is a bit glitchy.

I've started to add files gradually and so far I've filled about 20GB and the phone works fine, so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-29-2015 03:30 AM