I'm on Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 , on an old Galaxy S2. Is is really confusing to differentiate between USB Storage, SD Storage, etc. and how to find out where things are being saved to. I need to update my Google Play Services app in order to run a whole set of other apps tied to Google, but every time I attempt to download the update from Google Play Store, it tells me that "insufficient storage available". But I have a 32 GB External SD Card in there! Surely I can save apps there!
    So how do I access where things are saved to be able to move them elsewhere and determine how to download the update? Can I save apps to my external SD? Why is there "insufficient storage available" - theoretically I have about 25 GB to much?
    Please help.
    01-28-2015 08:10 PM
    I'm on Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 , on an old Galaxy S2. Is is really confusing to differentiate between USB Storage, SD Storage, etc. and how to find out where things are being saved to. I need to update my Google Play Services app in order to run a whole set of other apps tied to Google, but every time I attempt to download the update from Google Play Store, it tells me that "insufficient storage available". But I have a 32 GB External SD Card in there! Surely I can save apps there!
    So how do I access where things are saved to be able to move them elsewhere and determine how to download the update? Can I save apps to my external SD? Why is there "insufficient storage available" - theoretically I have about 25 GB to much?
    Please help.
    Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

I had an S2 on 4.1.2 for 18 months and knew nothing about it except to run a few apps and take calls! Since I bought a Samsung Note 3 and participated in Android Central I learned a bit more.

So there are 3 areas you can look at.
    Storage, Applications Manager and the My Files app.
    Device storage is your internal storage less the Operating system (about 4 - 6gb). USB storage is your external sd card storage (you can also attach a thumb drive/memory stick to the usb port as another drive - not convenient). SD storage is/or used to refer to the internal storage less the space allocated for apps. (I'm winging it there and may be incorrect, but it's not important).

You can open Used Space in General - Storage to see how much apps are taking up (I don't know the app space allowance for your 16gb? S2). At this time you can tap Cached Data in Storage and empty this. It may have more than 0.5 gb and you don't need this accumulated waste.

In General - Applications Manager you may know you can go to the 4th All list, or the SD card list, and move downloaded apps to the sd card that allow it (usually on the sd card list) by tapping each and selcting Move to SD Card on the App Info screen.
    Note sd cards can corrupt over time so try to keep essential apps on internal, and copy/backup the sd card to pc via usb occasionally.

Most of the app is moved but part remains in internal storage, though it does free up room.
    Of course you can set the camera to save to sd rather than internal. Samsung and SanDisk sd cards are known to be the most reliable.

My Files also shows you the size of the internal / external apps (I don't use a card).

×On Edit : these are the downloaded apps, adding the stock apps that came with the phone add to make the total app space in Storage.
    You can disable / turn off / force stop many unwanted stock apps that don't uninstall but gives you more space and move to the Disabled / Turned Off list in Applications Manager. *

This is my 32gb Note 3 without a card. The TouchWiz version is very similar :

I have a screenshot addiction!
    01-28-2015 09:08 PM