Lost names but not phone numbers in contacts and caller id, how do I get the names back?

A

AC Question

Lost names but not phone numbers in contacts and caller id

Holly sheep ****! My service ,Straight talk,on Samsung S2 android for the last few months started sending me text that I'm using to much data. Not sure why, i'm doing the same ol', same ol'..... but anyway,,, I started going into Manage Applications settings and force stopping and clearing services. Today, I pressed clear cache on some and now ... yikes... in contacts...I still have phone numbers but no caller names..... hope someone can find a solution or am I.......well, you know...... I WILL buy you a beer if you can figure this out! :) Rick

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lost names but not phone numbers in contacts and caller id

Welcome to Android Central! Were you only tapping Clear Cache, or were you also tapping Clear Data? Clearing Cache should never impact things permanently, because the cache is only temporary data.

You're saying that when you open the Contacts app, the contacts don't have any names? How are all of your contacts saved--to your Google account or to the Phone account? If it's your Google account, I'd go to Settings>Accounts, remove your Google account, then add it back again, and wait for everything to re-sync.

pappadroid

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Howdy, B. Diddy... thanks so much for your reply.. I worked half a day messing around, trying to correct my phone, (2 years of numbers and contacts--learned a BIG lesson) I emailed google and my phone carrier, phone folks said , it's on Google and they haven't answered back. Here's what is exactly going on-- your are probably right on with maybe hitting a wrong key. I feel like I deleted something! When this all started, I was closing apps to save data minutes. After that, I text a lot and when I looked at who I was txt'n, it showed just the plone numbers only-- the names were gone! I went to contacts and there were NO contacts in that file at all. Strange event, as I was scrolling down in the phone log file, it showed the phone numbers--but as I was scrolling down, I could see their names of my contacts for a couple of seconds and then it would change to the phone number... almost looked like a virus...
I still feel I deleted something when turning off and clearing apps to save my data time. Any of your thoughts or suggestions are really appreciated!! How do you feel about some of these recover downloads I see on U-Tube,, that's one of my last resorts.. I'm little scared to download anything! This feels like my puppy died...wow! Hey, it's not the end of the world so EVERYONE Have a Blessed Day!!! Rick