Why won't my Gmail work with the mail app?

A

AC Question

why won't my gmail work with the mail app?

I have a problem with my mail app. I tried to set up my email with gmail but it says authentication failed. please verify username/password but both of it is correct as I am able to log in onto my gmail through the internet. my mail app used to be connected with outlook so all my mail came to my phone but after deleting that account and trying to set it up with gmail it will not allow me? thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why won't my gmail work with the mail app?

Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Any reason why you prefer the stock Email app over the Gmail app? Are you able to log into your Gmail app without any difficulty?

Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Email, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open Email again, and try adding the Gmail account.

arianaali

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site

my device is a HTC one m8, I prefer the stock email app over the gmail app because my mail comes straight to my phone and I get a notification when I get the mail so I prefer that. I am able to log into my gmail account through the app with no problem. I tried what you told me to do but does not seem to work

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

With the Gmail app, your Gmail will also come straight to the phone, and it should also give you a notification. In fact, it should be more direct, because it's the Gmail app, and you're not using the stock Email app as an intermediary. Is that not happening?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure Auto-sync is turned on? Go to Settings>Accounts, tap Menu, and make sure Auto-sync is checked on. Also, go to Settings>Data Usage, and make sure you haven't Restricted Background Data for Gmail.

arianaali

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site

I went into my gmail account settings and found that my gmail wasn't synced. I turned everything on and I sent an email to myself to see if it would notify me when I got an email and it did. I will now just use the gmail app now that it notifys me. Thank you for your help, everything is fine now :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech