Can I use my ZTE phone as a modem for my laptop?

reble1

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about my ZTE phone using it for modem for my laptop

Right now I am on my backup ISP because Frontier Communications is been stupid on a charge on the bill and cut the DSL connection.
Anyways my question is about my backup ISP. I have my ZTE Warp 4g cell phone rigged with an app called "EasyTether" which allows my laptop to connect to the internet via the usb cable to my cell phone. Normally the connect speed of my backup ISP is almost as fast as the DSL connection. Lately the backup ISP has been (still is) as slow as a dialup connection. Anything Google just times out (can not connect) to any web page from Google or through Google search, Google search it self times out (can not make connection). I have tried FireFox and Internet Explorer. There are other web page (that I normally have no problems bring them up). I like Google search engine but right now I have to use Bing search because Google won't respond. Normally I use Google maps when I have to drive someware that I never been to. I had to use MapQuest because even Google maps wouldn't open up. And MapQuest was very very slow at bringing up the map and showing any changes I typed in. Despite the fact that I sometimes only have 1 bar of signal strength on the bar graph. The internal web browser just zip's along like the Road Runner from the cartoons inside stores, in an elevator and so on. Why does the phone's internal browser work fine and the usb connection from the phone to the laptop be so slow? My downstairs neighbor let me tie into his wireless router (his service is Charter cable tv) to test my internet connection. And my internet connection speed on the laptop was back to normal. Voice calls and sms text's are fine. So what gives? Anyone have any ideas.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: I have a question about my ZTE phone using it for modem for my laptop

Right now I am on my backup ISP because Frontier Communications is been stupid on a charge on the bill and cut the DSL connection.
Anyways my question is about my backup ISP. I have my ZTE Warp 4g cell phone rigged with an app called "EasyTether" which allows my laptop to connect to the internet via the usb cable to my cell phone. Normally the connect speed of my backup ISP is almost as fast as the DSL connection. Lately the backup ISP has been (still is) as slow as a dialup connection. Anything Google just times out (can not connect) to any web page from Google or through Google search, Google search it self times out (can not make connection). I have tried FireFox and Internet Explorer. There are other web page (that I normally have no problems bring them up). I like Google search engine but right now I have to use Bing search because Google won't respond. Normally I use Google maps when I have to drive someware that I never been to. I had to use MapQuest because even Google maps wouldn't open up. And MapQuest was very very slow at bringing up the map and showing any changes I typed in. Despite the fact that I sometimes only have 1 bar of signal strength on the bar graph. The internal web browser just zip's along like the Road Runner from the cartoons inside stores, in an elevator and so on. Why does the phone's internal browser work fine and the usb connection from the phone to the laptop be so slow? My downstairs neighbor let me tie into his wireless router (his service is Charter cable tv) to test my internet connection. And my internet connection speed on the laptop was back to normal. Voice calls and sms text's are fine. So what gives? Anyone have any ideas.
Trying using another app, such as Wi-Fi Tether or Fox-Fi. See if that helps you tether with fast speeds.

As to why it would be slower? I'm not exactly sure.