Nexus devices first in line to get Android OS updates

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was my understanding nexus devices get latest OS update before any other devices. But than I read it must be a nexus device purchased from Google to be first in mind for update and not from a wireless Carrier. Please someone shed some light

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It used to be that Nexus devices were always first in line, because they're Google products, and the updated OS didn't have to be modified any further to accommodate manufacturer skins (like TouchWiz) or carrier-specific hardware or bloatware. More recently, Motorola has given Google a run for its money, beating them to the punch in some instances--but that's understandable, since Motorola was up until recently part of Google. Now that the Nexus 6 is getting carrier-branded, though, it's possible carrier-specific system updates for that phone may not all come at the same time, because of the abovementioned issues. So if you bought your Nexus 6 directly from Google, you should be ok--but if you got it straight from AT&T, for example, you might have to wait longer.

Anyway, that's my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh wow. I got a nexus device so I can have stock apps. Not Samsung.Sony apps that can't be deleted. Another reason was so I don't have to wait half a year to get a android update after launch. If that's the case than fail google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy