Half of the photos I take, even in bright light with no movement, turn out looking like they were taken at an incredibly low resolution at low light.

I have cleaned the lens and ensure there is no camera shake.
    I have it set at:
    -max resolution
    -image stabilization on
    -image quality superfine (I assume this should provide more detail than less)
    -Auto focus is on, I ensure the focus rectangle is green.

Any feedback, I hope it isn't a hardware issue as it's out of warranty.
    01-31-2015 12:30 PM
    Try downloading another camera app from the Play Store and see whether that makes a difference.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-31-2015 02:22 PM
    If the app is metering a very bright spot in the frame, everything else will be underexposed. If it's metering a very dark spot, everything else will be overexposed. You have to learn how the app measures light level and set the exposure based on what you want captured. (A scene with a 10,000:1 dynamic range is goijng to be exposed very badly at one or both ends, because a camera can't handle that kind of difference.) Open Camera is one app that allows you to lock the exposure so if say, you're taking a picture of a person's face, but there's a lot of lighter and darker stuff in the frame, go up to the person to set the exposure on the face, lock it, go back to where you want to take the picture from and take it. The exposure will be right for the face. (It can also lock the focus, so you can set the focus for something 3 feet away, move the phone and it will still be focused for 3 feet.)

Even if the app you're using does average metering (it meters for the average light in the frame), one very bright or very dark object can ruin the exposure. For instance, if you're shooting at a concert and 90% of the frame is the performers, but someone in the frame takes a flash picture just as you set the exposure, the picture will be very underexposed (dark), because the flash was part of the average light it metered.

(This is all basic photography - it has nothing to do with cellphones or the S3. Kodak has free tutorials on the web to teach you how to take better pictures.)
    01-31-2015 03:39 PM