I have a choice of saving contacts to device or to SIM card. Which should I choose?

A

AC Question

i have a choice of saving contacts to device or to SIM card. Which should I choose?

Is there a preference to saving contacts to SIM care versus the device?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: i have a choice of saving contacts to device or to SIM card. Which should I choose?

Save them to Google, then no matter what happens to your phone or SIM you can always get them back by simply signing in to your Google account.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: i have a choice of saving contacts to device or to SIM card. Which should I choose?

I prefer the device. It's more convenient.

They will still be on your device. Your device and your google account will sync. If your phone dies or you get a new one, you don't have to worry about your contacts, when you sign into a new device with Google, they will be right there for you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

They will still be on your device. Your device and your google account will sync. If your phone dies or you get a new one, you don't have to worry about your contacts, when you sign into a new device with Google, they will be right there for you.
The only advantage is for those who don't want to use the Google account. You can save it locally and copy it manually to the new device. Not more convenient by any means of course. But if you use phone only then you should back up occasionally manually.

Sent from my LG G4

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Contacts really should be saved to your Google account for automatic backup and easy restoration or transfer to a new device. Foolproof and super simple.

If you save contacts only to the phone just be sure to do manual backups and keep a copy somewhere other than on the phone in case of theft or loss of the phone.

The option to save contacts to SIM cards is disappearing and no doubt will be gone completely in a year or two. Unlike other contacts options, SIM contacts can have names and numbers only - no email addresses, physical addresses, photos, birthdays, notes - none of the extra information most people like to be able to add. In short, SIM contacts is old, outdated technology that should not be considered a viable option.

All that said, again I *highly* recommend saving contacts to your Google account.

Android user since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I completely agree with Crashdamage. If you eventually need your contacts in your SIM card just export them. To avoid duplications select in your contacts app which ones to display.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173