How can I keep these blasted photos deleted?

A

AC Question

how can i keep these blasted photos deleted? losing my mind!

i saw on this forum that kitkat made it impossible to access the sd card. i have photos that i cannot delete. i am ready to throw my phone against the wall and cry. the phone store couldn't help me. i've gone to about 10 forums and blogs and tried everything: deleted backups, turned off every sync feature, deleted over and over in the apps, and the pics come back. today, i figured it out: the photos are in the DCIM file on my sd card. the "my files" app won't let me delete them. if i try hooking up with USB to computer, the file manager on the computer crashes when i try to delete. i tried moving the photos to a new folder, thinking then i could delete them, but the move fails every time. it's like the darn card is write-protected. it's MY card! how can i delete these photos for good? samsung galaxy s4 mini, SPH-L520, android version 4.4.2 software version L520VPUBNJ1. please help! thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: how can i keep these blasted photos deleted? losing my mind!

Have you tried formatting the SD card? If you want to delete those pictures, I'm assuming that wouldn't be an issue (as long as you do back up everything up to your computer, internal memory, or cloud storage).

KitKat did change the way the SD card can be accessed, but the stock File Manager app still retains full read/write privileges, so moving, deleting, creating, copying, etc. from the SD card should be possible from there, unless the files themselves are write-protected (which you could check by right-clicking the file on a computer browser and taking a look at its properties). But the quickest way to get rid of them is by formatting the SD Card.

KADJEN

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the quick reply! it's weird, i right click on properties and it says "no" next to both protected and read-only columns.
however, when i try to delete, the computer says "the storage is write-protected, please remove the protection and try again."
where do i do this? i apologize if this is getting away from android stuff. i appreciate your help.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, once upon a time there were little write-protection switches on SD Cards, but now with microSD those switches are gone. If you try to format the card from your phone, does it give you an error? Have you tried using an SD Card reader for PC or tried the card in another phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar