Can I get some help getting ride of some potential malware?

A

AC Question

potential malware issue - need help & advice

I have a new Kocaso NovaOne running android 4.42. I really really love it. :) This morning on booting up the device, I noticed that I had two browser apps I had not installed: Baidu Browser & KK Browser. I went thru the settings: apps: uninstall & I think Baidu is gone, but KK Browser simply will not go away. I installed a virus scanner app which pointed to "Device Management" (which doesn't list on my apps list at all) as malware, but when I attempt any sort of uninstall, I get the message "uninstall unsuccessful." I have tried various antivirus apps, including Lookout & 360 & I can't get rid of either the KK Browser or Device Management. Some apps point to DM as a threat, others do not. I'm not sure what to do, or if this is a genuine problem. Most of the apps I have installed after getting the device are old favorites from previous android tablets & they've never given me any trouble. Any advice is very much appreciated from this relative newbie.

One last thing -- I should perhaps mention that I can "uninstall" KKBrowser only to have it return when I reboot.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: potential malware issue - need help & advice

Welcome to Android Central! Have you already installed a lot of apps? It's possible something you installed also caused this automatic installation. But it's also possible that Kocaso has some preinstalled bloatware that does this automatically as well. The easiest thing to do would probably be to do a full factory reset. After getting through the Setup Wizard again, go immediately to Google Play Store and stop any apps that might be automatically installing. Now see if KKBrowser is there. If it's there, then it's a preinstalled app that perhaps you didn't notice at first. If it's not there, then see if it installs automatically again--if it does, then it's likely due to some preinstalled Kocaso bloatware, because the factory reset would have cleared out any malware.

Go to Settings>Apps>All​, and look for that "Device Management" app there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7