Hi.

I have google a lot trying to find a reasonable answer to my question: Is it possible to enable Mass Storage in my S4 mini without rooting? Android version is 4.4.2

Thanks
    02-03-2015 08:47 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You mean USB Mass Storage? You can't do it (at least, not unrooted). Mounting the phone as a USB Mass Storage device would render the phone inoperable while it's connected to the computer. Older phones could mount as USB Mass Storage because the Internal Storage was divided into 2 partitions--a smaller partition for system and app installation, and a larger partition as an "Internal SD." When you mounted those phones as Mass Storage, it was the Internal SD that became the external hard drive. While mounted, the phone would still be able to operate, but it wouldn't be able to access its Internal SD; at the same time, the computer could access the Internal SD, but couldn't access the system/app partition.
    02-03-2015 10:50 AM
    Hi B. Didy.

Thanks for the answer.

First I apologize for my ignorance (I'm new in the Android world). Second, could you please help me to understand why is it that rooting my S4 will let me to enable the USB mass storage? my understanding is that rooting will grant apps super user rights. Did I misunderstood things?

Thanks
    02-04-2015 02:44 AM
    I actually don't know if rooting can achieve that, since I don't have rooting experience.
    02-04-2015 09:36 AM
    Well... that's what many apps in google play do (i.e. SG USB Mass Storage).

I'm confuse on why rooting will do the job while no rooting will not. If rooting do the job, why isn't there an app (even if you have to pay for it) that allows you to enable USB mass storage? will there be one in the near future?

If someone can help me to clarify this, it will be great !

Thanks
    02-05-2015 02:28 AM
    I saw this line in the description in that SG USB Mass Storage Enabler app: "This will export your microSD card over USB as a mass storage device, this will NOT work with your internal memory due to hardware and software limitations." So if you're rooted and use that app, when you connect the phone, the microSD card will show up in the computer's file explorer as a mounted hard drive, but not the phone's Internal Storage (which is still consistent with what I was saying).

Good luck with finding more answers! I'm definitely not techy enough to answer all of the detailed stuff.
    ChinaMan2000 likes this.
    02-05-2015 09:15 AM
    Hello Sir ..today My touch and display damaged..so i unable to use mobile..i want to connect mobile to pc to take backup from internal storage..but it saying click on mass storage..my touch not working..is there any solution to take backup?
    05-13-2016 10:35 PM