I've had the Galaxy S5 for a few months and now for some odd reason it can never stay connected to the wifi. When I'm at home or work it does the same thing. I'd be on the internet or playing a game, then a window would randomly pop up and say I've lost connection. I'm not experiencing any slowness of data. It will be running smoothly, then boom. Lost connection. I click "try again" and it reconnects with no problem. But it still never fails that it'll lose connection once more. Is the any cache or something that I can empty? I've already tried restarting home router and my phone itself. I think it's the phones problem because this issue is on multiple wifi sources. Any help would be appreciated.
    02-03-2015 10:15 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You could try wiping the cache partition as a general troubleshooting step: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404

Bluetooth can sometimes interfere with wi-fi, so if you have it on, try turning it off.

Also, go to Settings>Wi-fi​, tap Menu, then Advanced, and make sure "Avoid weak connections" is unchecked. If you see anything like "Wi-fi optimization," uncheck that as well, because that setting is usually for battery saving, not to help with poor wi-fi connections.
    02-03-2015 10:32 AM
    My s5 has started doing this in the last week.

I've wiped the cache which hasn't made any difference and I've checked the settings as suggested.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    02-06-2015 05:31 AM
    Same issue myself the past day or two. It happens both in work and at home and my phone is the only device having this trouble with the wifi on both networks, so everything is pointing towards this being an issue with the phone rather than the network.

Could be a hardware problem, something like the wifi chip burning out, which was a common problem with the iPhone 4s but I haven't heard of any similar problems with the Samsungs. I'm wondering though if it is a software issue, related to the recent OS update? I postponed my automatic update for a day or so until I eventually gave in and let it update a couple of days ago. Although it wasn't obvious at first, it is possible that the new wifi problem has something to do with that OS update?
    02-06-2015 05:24 PM
    Looking around the web for info on this and it seems that this is one of the big problems with the new OS update.

The most popular solution seems to be to go into wifi settings and untick the Smart Network Switch option. I was kind of reluctant to do this cos I think the smart network switch can be useful at times when you are connecting to below-par wifi networks. But switching it off does seem to have fixed the problem for me all the same. Here's hoping the next OS update will solve the problem properly, so I can go back to using the smart network switch option.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-06-2015 06:09 PM