How can I find out what network my S5 is locked to?

A

AC Question

Hi

I bought a Galaxy S5 from Argos very recently since I needed a sim free phone, it was a gift for my brother who was moving abroad. However, he has since informed me that the phone is locked and is not accepting the local sims. Now I feel this may have been my fault because I've heard you need to use a couple UK sims before going abroad which I never did. Anyway, I wanted to grab an unlock code for him to use but all the websites ask what network the phone is locked to, which he can't find since it was originally unlocked from Argos.

So in summary, I need to somehow find out if the phone is locked to a network even though the phone was bought unlocked. Pretty confusing, I know.

Appreciate any help.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

These Americans may not understand the delight that is Argos (cough).

Just off the bat, if it doesn't have any UK network apps, try going to General - About Device - Status and scroll down to see if any network is listed.

Probably better is Connections - More Networks - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names and see if any apn settings are installed.

I have a Samsung Note 3 on Three :

05a6b4990769f7bcad6c5b4a8b1c5f1d.jpg
ed11d63b76589bafc351bc7d2eb949da.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Second thoughts - scrap that. I just re-read. It would be European region locked, as mine late 2013, unless they have stopped doing that. Anyone?

You can download Phone Spec or Genuine Galaxy but not sure if it helps here. You can dial *#1234# and the 3rd/CSC number can be checked on Sammobile but it will only tell you it's European.

Yes, I think using it in the UK for a few days would have solved it.

If I think of anything, and there's someone I would like to ask.
What continent?

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
According to an updated report last year, once used in a region it was not destined for it has to be unlocked by a dedicated service centre, or a custom rom installed.
I would try to speak to someone at a Samsung Experience store or a Carphone Warehouse person; or have a call or online chat with Samsung Customer Service.
Helpline & Contact | Samsung UK

Galaxy Note 3 region lock explained: what it means and how it affects you - Opinion - Trusted Reviews
Samsung on Region lock: you need 5 min of voice calls - GSMArena.com news

jax1234

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Madd54

I made an account so I could reply to your great help. Thanks mate.

My brother has taken the phone out of Europe, he's currently in Afghanistan but will be moving to Dubai shortly.

It does seem that me not using the phone in the UK has caused all of this, unfortunately. My sister is coming back to the UK in the next few days, would it still work if she were to bring the phone back with her and then use it here or is the fact that they've tried local sims over there in the S5 made using it in the UK null and void now.

I'll contact Samsung in the next few hours and see what they say.

Thanks again.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Madd54

I made an account so I could reply to your great help. Thanks mate.

My brother has taken the phone out of Europe, he's currently in Afghanistan but will be moving to Dubai shortly.

It does seem that me not using the phone in the UK has caused all of this, unfortunately. My sister is coming back to the UK in the next few days, would it still work if she were to bring the phone back with her and then use it here or is the fact that they've tried local sims over there in the S5 made using it in the UK null and void now.

I'll contact Samsung in the next few hours and see what they say.

Thanks again.

Hi.

You should certainly get the phone back to it's original state, even if it means a trip or sending it to a Samsung authorised centre. It's your phone, you have a warranty, and Samsung stated as such on their site.

The alternative is keeping it in Dubai and flashing / installing a local Rom/OS, (I forget the terminology) something I personally don't recommend as you unless Samsung do it for you.

So, great if you can get it back and use it for a few days, 5 call minutes after its been 'repaired'.
Chat with Samsung, or a CPW. You haven't lost anything, just time and inconvenience.

Welcome to Android Central.

If you have time, put this to others by saying hi in Introductions (Android Central Community), or General Help and How To. I would prefer another opinion from site Ambassadors and others if there is an easier way.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Christian Garzona

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
only search in google the compilation number of your phone and you will know the carrier .. for example... for a samsung galaxy s5 with compilation number LMY47X.G900TUVS1FOL1 ...
immediately you know thats is originally of tmobile
the compilation number is on settings> about phone