Why do my emoticons (e.g. :P, :), etc) automatically change to emoji's after my most recent update?

A

AC Question

After the most recent 4.4.4 update anytime I type an old school emoticon in a text it turns into an emoji. I don't like this, it's annoying and messing with my texting style. I'd like to change it so it doesn't do that anymore.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why you aren't liking this but I'm also not sure you can turn it off. It will depend on a few things but let me tell you a few things first.

If you are texting an old school phone, like a flip phone or something, they will continue to get the old school :) even though on your end they look like emojis. Meanwhile your friends who had more up to date devices were most likely getting emojis even tho they may not have looked like that on your end. So your perception of what you were sending was most likely just that, your impression not what your receivers were actually getting.

If you are using a 3rd party app you may find that there is a setting in your options that will turn off the emoji appearance in your messages even tho it may not change what your recipients are getting.

MrThinroyy

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
This is OP again, I just got an account.

I'm using an HTC One M8, and the stock "Messenger" app that comes on the phone. I dislike the feature because 1) I don't like how the oversized emoji's mess with the line spacing in my texts, it looks unprofessional and clunky, 2) when the phone switches the text from, say, ":p" to the spitty-face emoji, sometimes it doesn't do it properly and adds in an extra letter or messes with the spacing of the words, and 3) I just don't want it to do something that I haven't asked it to do, if I wanted an emoji in place of the text I put then I'd put an emoji.

I've scoured every typing-related setting on the phone and have found nothing. I could be just missing it and I completely admit that sometimes I'm horrible at looking for things, but a directory or some additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Messenger or messages? Messages is the SMS app messenger is Facebook. Anyway I'll look though the settings for each and see if I can't screenshot the location of either one.

Posted via Android Central App

MrThinroyy

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
*"Messages," sorry. Literally the stock messaging app that comes with the phone. No third party, no facebook, none of that. The basic messaging app that comes with the phone.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah in messages I'm not seeing a setting like I remember. I don't use messages and not many that I know do. Most switch to a 3rd party app for more options and features. Handcent, Go SMS, and Chomp are a few of the more popular ones. You may want to look into one of them and see if they better fit what you're looking for.