I'm considering switching from AT&T to Verizon. Can I keep my AT&T Note 3?

4Raven

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been experiencing very poor reception with AT&T where I now live and am considering switching to T-Mob or Verizon but was told by both of these companies that even though I have an unlocked phone (Note 3) I cannot use my AT&T phone since the internal antennas are different. Is this true? Do I have to purchase a Verizon/T-Mob phone if I switch?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You should be able to use your phone on T-Mobile, but you probably will only be able to use some of T-Mobile's data frequencies. Very doubtful you can use Verizon at all. Your phone is probably not compatible and Verizon is very restrictive about what phones they allow on their network.

Check out your phone compatibility here:

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is a CDMA network. AT&T and TMobile are GSM networks (actually TDMA at that level). CDMA is in constant contact with all phones, coding each transmission differently (CODE division multiple access). TDMA phones give each phone a time slot and only talk to that phone (or listen to it) during that time slot (TIME division multiple access). Totally different technologies. Like watching TV on a toaster.

As for data on TMobile, you'll get 3G (for as long as TMobile keeps 3G going) - the phone lacks band 4, which TMobile uses for 4G. (AT&T seems to be using only band 17 all over now.)

Your best bet, if Verizon gives you the best coverage, is to swap your phone for a Verizon Note 3, or sell yours (Swappa is a good place to buy and sell used phones) and buy a used Verizon model. They should run about the same price for the same model, so you'll be out shipping (a few dollars, probably). In a swap, you don't even have to swap cases, chargers, etc - everything on the outside of the phones is the same.

4Raven

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Since the Note 4 has (what I consider) some significant upgraded features, I am considering buying this model from Amazon ($199 w/Verizon contract). Assuming I can get somewhere in that price range for my Note 3, does that seem to you to be a reasonable plan of action? As you suggested, I will also check out the feasibility of swapping or selling/buying used.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: I'm considering switching from AT&T to Verizon. Can I keep my AT&T Note 3?

I would recommend getting the note 4, or if money is an issue, buy a used Note 3

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: I'm considering switching from AT&T to Verizon. Can I keep my AT&T Note 3?

Verizon is a CDMA network. AT&T and TMobile are GSM networks (actually TDMA at that level). CDMA is in constant contact with all phones, coding each transmission differently (CODE division multiple access). TDMA phones give each phone a time slot and only talk to that phone (or listen to it) during that time slot (TIME division multiple access). Totally different technologies. Like watching TV on a toaster.

As for data on TMobile, you'll get 3G (for as long as TMobile keeps 3G going) - the phone lacks band 4, which TMobile uses for 4G. (AT&T seems to be using only band 17 all over now.)

Your best bet, if Verizon gives you the best coverage, is to swap your phone for a Verizon Note 3, or sell yours (Swappa is a good place to buy and sell used phones) and buy a used Verizon model. They should run about the same price for the same model, so you'll be out shipping (a few dollars, probably). In a swap, you don't even have to swap cases, chargers, etc - everything on the outside of the phones is the same.
Although band 17 is att primary lte band, they also use bands 2,4,and 5. TMobile uses band 4 primarily but also uses bands 2 and 12. None of the phones from the note 3 generation support band 12

With regards to the att note 3,it supports lte bands 2,4,5, and 17.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that the att note 3 doesn't support aws 4g hspa+, so you will only get 4g where tmobile refarmed pcs to lte

uploadfromtaptalk1423597364348.jpguploadfromtaptalk1423597376074.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20