My phone was almost dead (like 2% battery), so I plug it in to the charger. The charger I use kind of loose, so if my move my phone much, it stops charging. I keep using my phone, so it doesn't charge up very well. It shut down once, but after a few minutes of charging I was able to start it in order to continue a conversation. (I know, stupid me should have just let it charge.) Anyways it shuts down again due to low charge and I just let it charge this time. I do something else for about 10 minutes, and when I look back at my phone, I see an odd screen. The upper right corner says "Factory Mode" and some other stuff (I don't remember). In the center is the android symbol and, underneath that, "Do not turn off target." So I take the battery out of my phone. I know, stupid me again. I put it back in, put the charger back in, and try to start my phone. The little buttons at the bottom flash a little, but nothing happens. I decide to let it go for a while, thinking it just needs to charge. Now, it remains on the charger. Occasionally (every 15-30 minutes or so), it goes through the start up screens and I see my lock screen for a second until it shuts down again.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2, the tracfone version. Because of this, it runs a very old version of Android.

Any help would be appreciated! I know very little about electronics myself, and I can't buy a new phone for a while, so anything you say could really help me! Thanks!
    02-07-2015 08:36 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When the battery is that low, let it charge for a good 4-5 hours or so before you even try to turn it on. It would be a good idea to get a replacement charger, since a loose charger could allow the battery to drain to zero (if it got loose again and you let it sit overnight like that). Letting it die too often can reduce the battery life significantly. If a replacement charger is also loose, then it's probably the charge port that is causing the poor fit.

If you let it charge for several hours, and it still isn't charging up or turning on (and you're sure the plug is in securely), then the battery may have failed. Try a new battery.
    02-07-2015 08:52 PM