How do I get my Samsung S3 to split a long SMS into two or three shorter msgs?

A

AC Question

When I type any text longer than 160 characters it pops up saying data needs to be used. The supplier said to set Creation Mode to restricted/would msgs in two. Does not happen. i do not have an Auto Combination setting like it states in the manual.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
When I type any text longer than 160 characters it pops up saying data needs to be used. The supplier said to set Creation Mode to restricted/would msgs in two. Does not happen. i do not have an Auto Combination setting like it states in the manual.

Are you using Hangouts or the messaging app? Try Hangouts if you are not already using it. It'll let you text more than 160 characters without merging into a MMS, which uses data.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Every text app (that has a setting for that function) does it differently. Some allow you to split long messages into multiple SMS, some allow you to prevent long messages from being split - which means MMS, some allow you to prevent long messages being sent as MMS - every developer words it differently. And some just don't have the function and use MMS for any message over 160 characters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2