Why does my Galaxy S5 take a long time to send messages?

A

AC Question

My Galaxy S5 takes a long time to send messages

Recently I've been having this problem where my phone takes forever to send a message. It just says sending and the round icon just keeps turning. Sometimes it stays like that for hours before eventually sending or failing. The people I send messages to usually receive the message before I "send" it. It also sends even if my phone says it failed. I try putting it in airplane mode then back again, restarting. It won't work. I'm using the stock messaging app and I'm pretty sure it's not a network problem. Usually there comes a time where all my pending messages will send and I'll receive a ton of messages all at once. It's getting worse and worse.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S5 takes a long time to send messages

Welcome to the forums. I would try taking your phone into your carrier store. Perhaps the Sim card is going bad.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S5 takes a long time to send messages

Most of the time when I see this it is usually caused by a resource problem. First things first though, you need to be in a good coverage area, for SMS 3 to 4 bars celular, MMS 3 or 4G data coverage. 1X will usually send MMS but often it takes forever. Anyway, beyond that what is most likely giving you issue is that you have too many things eating away at your memory i.e. 1000s of SMS, 100s of MMS, and full caches. These conditions will usually choke any of the Stock apps out, Messages, Hangouts... Start by reducing the number of SMS and MMS messages you are holding. Items from MMS can be saved to your gallery or music folder and there are a ton of ways to backup and save SMS messages if you feel you really can't just delete them. If you are using stock apps I've seen posts saying that it really difficult to do batch operations for deleting items. Many third party apps however make deleting conversations and large volumes of messages more manageable. Handcent, Go SMS, and Chomp are a few good SMS apps to try. After deleting the messages you'll want to restart the device. If you still notice some lag in operations, try clearing the cache for your messaging app, email app, and Facebook. These are the apps that usually consume the most memory and some times conflict with each other over resources. After clearing caches you'll want to do another restart, and I think you'll be good after that.