Hi, I don't know if anyone has posted a question like this, and since I'm pretty stupid with the whole having an android phone, I'll go on and ask anyway.

I've had a 4th gen. ipod touch for a long while and I am looking to switch over from apple to android for an ipod alternative. I know that there is the 5th gen., but due to changing opinions and such, I am looking towards an android device. I am not worried about the "phone" aspects of the android phone, I am looking for a prepaid where I can connect to wifi without being charged for it, and course it has to be more powerful than the 4th & 5th ipod touch. No contract phones, nothing like that.

And also because I'm not familiar with android phones, do I have to pick a carrier or can I just simply start using it out of the box? I don't want to pay a monthly service, I would guess I would use the phone's features little to none. Like literally, a powerful and cheap ipod touch alternative. and even a feature(optional though) to put in sd cards for GB storage.
    02-09-2015 05:47 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The ability to use an Android phone without a SIM or without activating cell service seems to vary somewhat between carriers and phones. I've seen where people using Moto phones on Verizon can bypass activation, as well as older Samsung phones. However, I've also see posts where some people couldn't figure out how to bypass activation (e.g., on newer Samsung phones). So it's hard to answer your question with certainty.

One option to consider it Republic Wireless, which relies primarily on any nearby wi-fi signals for calls, but then falls back on the Sprint network if there is no wi-fi. There is a wi-fi only plan for $5/month, if you don't want or need the cell coverage. The Moto E is a decent phone that has a microSD slot, where you could store music. However, its 4 GB of onboard internal storage is pretty low, and would limit the total number of apps you could install.
    02-09-2015 07:16 PM
    02-09-2015 08:27 PM
    So I guess this means I won't be able to get out of having to pay for a service or anything right?.
    02-09-2015 08:31 PM
    You could try getting a prepaid phone and seeing if you can bypass activation. I believe it's possible on the Moto G on Verizon prepaid.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    02-09-2015 09:35 PM
    ok , thank you very much.
    02-09-2015 10:19 PM
    um...actually I was thinking about getting the prepaid samsung galaxy s III. Would bypass work on it?
    02-09-2015 10:40 PM
    This technique is supposed to work.

[How to] Bypass Activation Screen Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon No Account N...:

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    02-09-2015 11:57 PM
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. And sorry for getting back to you so late.
    02-19-2015 10:41 PM
    Bypassing the activation screen doesn't change anything as far as activating the phone on a carrier. (That's the same, whether the phone runs Android, iOS or Windows - to make phone calls or send texts [or receive anything[, you have to have a carrier, contract or prepay.)

Just make sure that the phone you buy is made for the carrier (not the network operator - Republic, Boost, Straight Talk - those are Mobile Virtual Network Operators, MVNOs - they use AT&T, Sprint, TMobile and/or Verizon as carriers) and if it's for Verizon, that you can use that particular phone on that network. (I think Verizon still won't allow Verizon prepaid phones on their MVNOs, you can only use them as prepaid on Verizon. It works the same with iPhones.)
    02-20-2015 12:57 AM