My phone will shut down and indicate that the battery is dead when the battery is anywhere from 30-75% charged. It won't turn back on until I plug it back in. I have the Nexus 6 and it has been doing this for days and is getting worse. What is going on and what do I do?
    02-09-2015 10:35 PM
    Sounds as if the battery is growing dendrites. (If you search lithium battery dendrites you'll learn more than you wan to know about that.) The battery has to be replaced. (Look in Settings at the battery stats. Press the graph to get to another graph. Look for the telltale "falling off a cliff" drop in battery charge - that's a dendrite shorting the battery and causing it to shut off. At that point the battery is probably almost dead. Plugging it in will break the dendrite and charge the battery. Eventually even plugging it in won't work,m because the constant shorts will have destroyed the battery.

(As far as I'm concerned, it should be covered under warranty. "We don't know how to prevent it yet" [which is the current state] shouldn't be an excuse. But I've never heard of a company replacing a dendritic battery under warranty - the battery is considered a consumable, not under warranty unless it's dead out of the box and won't charge.)
    02-09-2015 11:21 PM