I have a Samsung Galaxy mini with an internal storage capacity of 200 MB. Even though I have a 2 GB SD card i can't download any app or game because the phone wants to download it to the internal storage. How can i set it to download the apps directly to the SD card?
    02-10-2015 10:59 AM
    Hello. Gosh that's small.
    All you can do is go to Applications Manager - All or SD Card list, open the App Info of any, and select Move to SD Card, which will free up some of that app's space from the device.
    You have to accept you are limited to a few essential downloaded apps.
    02-10-2015 12:42 PM
    That's not an option either, because the move to sd card button is grey, only the uninstall button is aviable.
    02-10-2015 01:55 PM
    Hi. Does that mean all downloaded apps are greyed out for moving, or just the ones you want to move. You can't move stock device apps, and perhaps it will not move some large apps as many links to the app sections stay on the device.
    That's a terrible way of explaining what @Rukbat here could explain better. He described this recently.
    Best way maybe is to see if the Applications Manager has an SD Card list. Downloaded - SD card - Running - All - Disabled /Turned Off.
    If it does it should mean the OS supports moving, but the app doesn't.
    02-10-2015 04:31 PM
    1) Direct answer to your question - because Android downloads to internal storage, it's written that way.

2) You have a 4 year old phone that was written to run Froyo (Android 2.2) and could have Gingerbread (2.3) kind of forced into it, but there really wasn't enough storage when you did that - with apps written for phones with 160MB of user storage. Apps today are larger than that for one app, so running the phone with any number of apps today is almost impossible. Check on Area51 Forum or look for a Cyanogen ROM for that phone. Cyanogen 7 could mount the SD card as internal storage, and it could handle about a 1GB partition, so you'd at least have 1GB of storage. DroidHost (on Area51) wrote at least one ROM (for the Precedent) that could mount a 2GB partition (I didn't have any larger card to try at the time). They may have a ROM for the Mini that can do the same. (They also have a live chat if you need help.)

3) Matt, it's not easy to explain, so while I can explain it to a programmer in a few words, explaining it to someone who knws very little about computers is best kept simple, the way you did it. A little expansion is that some apps (and all widgets) just won't run from the card. Android was never designed to run apps from the card when it's mounted as an external storage device. Making an app run well from it takes more knowledge and experience than most Android app "developers" have. (Being able to drag controls onto a form and link them into an app doesn't make you a systems analyst.) If a developer knows what he's doing, he'll prevent the "Move to SD Card" button from being active if he knows his app will have problems running from the card - but the reason it's not active on your phone is that you don't have the space on internal storage for the links needed to point to where the app was put on the card. (If an app is written in many small pieces - which is sloppy, lazy "programming" [and I'm not comfortable even using the word in quotes] - you use more internal space for the links than the app itself took, so moving it to the card wastes space, it doesn't free any.)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    02-10-2015 06:19 PM
    I wasn't far off then, remembering a post of yours in the last couple of days.

Mobile Nations are saving a fortune getting you for free, but I do 'get' that you get a lot out of this too.

Thanks.
    02-10-2015 06:35 PM
    Thank you guys for clearing this out for me. Basically i need an upgrade
    anon8380037 likes this.
    02-11-2015 12:44 AM
    Thank you guys for clearing this out for me. Basically i need an upgrade
    You're welcome, though you were in the presence of a greater being than I.
    ^^ ^^

If you can, the latest lower range phones have much greater capacity and spec for the price. I am looking at getting one myself. Try for an 8gb rather than a 4gb though.

(I should have grabbed that username. I hate mirrors!)
    02-11-2015 07:33 AM