Why is my S5 getting slow, laggy and hot all at once?

A

AC Question

S5 - getting slow, laggy and hot all at once - generally misbehaving

Hi all,

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 since July last year. I'm a fan (and I had the S3 before that).

Over the last couple of weeks my S5 has sort of lost it. I mean, my S3 got a bit buggy towards the end of its 2 year contract, but slowly, and it was old. My S5 is really rather new and all of a sudden its doing the following:

- lagging horribly. It'll snap into and out of it, but sometimes I can barely unlock the thing as the lag is so bad (3-5 seconds to press a key). Sometimes it's fine
- screen isn't selecting properly - so you press buttons 1 cm down from where you actually press the screen (again, comes and goes - appears to be a particular issue with the lock screen)
- is losing battery really fast. Today has been an average day for me I guess - fully charged this morning - unplugged at 8am, spent maybe 20-30 mins on it during the day, made 20 mins of calls, and it's on 32%. !!!. Previously this would be c.70-80%.
- periodically it gets hot. Not just warm like they do if you're charging and doing something with the phone at the same time, actually hot
- sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't. To be fair I suspect this might be one of my chargers (works ok with the other one) but with everything else going wrong, I'm suspicious.

This has all happened all at once, which is concerning me. I regularly clear my apps (almost every time I put down my phone). I've restarted multiple times. I've installed and run a daily cache clearer. I've stopped the automatic updates. It's not helping. I've got a feeling either the battery's gone or something massive is running in the background - although the only new apps I've put on recently are the London bus timetable, Zoopla and an update to BBC News. Any of those have a reputation? Any other ideas?

thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: S5 - getting slow, laggy and hot all at once - generally misbehaving

It's still under warranty. Writing the post is about as long as you should spend on a phone that's still under warranty. It's Samsung's problem. Let your carrier handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1