Why does a ringtone play when I hold down the power button?

A

AC Question

Holding Power Button Tone

Hi! I just got my phone yesterday, and this is the first time I've had an Android device. So far, I must say I'm really enjoying it, but there's still a lot of things I'm trying to figure out and adjust to.

When I hold the power button to turn off my phone, take a screen shot, or anything else in that small menu, my ringtone plays when I do. It gets a bit annoying to hear my text tone all the time when I want to take a screenshot or power off my phone. I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the sound that plays when you hold the power button? I realize that you could silence your phone, but I don't want all my other notifications to not have sound alerts just because of my power button.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Holding Power Button Tone

Hi! I just got my phone yesterday, and this is the first time I've had an Android device. So far, I must say I'm really enjoying it, but there's still a lot of things I'm trying to figure out and adjust to.

When I hold the power button to turn off my phone, take a screen shot, or anything else in that small menu, my ringtone plays when I do. It gets a bit annoying to hear my text tone all the time when I want to take a screenshot or power off my phone. I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the sound that plays when you hold the power button? I realize that you could silence your phone, but I don't want all my other notifications to not have sound alerts just because of my power button.
The ringtone shouldn't sound when you press the power button. You might hear a "click", which would indicate the phone locking when its powered off.

What may be happening is that when pressing a combination of volume and power, you might be hitting volume a little too early and it's sounding.

Alternatively, go into system settings > sounds. See if there is anything in there that controls this. I doubt there is, but it could be possible for your phone make/model. By the way, which phone are you using?

Simbosan

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Had same problem, actually had it on one phone, bought a new one and the problem appeared on that one too! So I guessed it must be some setting that had been preserved between the two phones. I fixed it by deleting all backed up data via Google Dashboard.

1) Go to dashboard. Google for Google Dashboard (i can't post links here!)
2) Expand the Android section and at the bottom is a button to delete all backed up data. Do it. Yes it's a pain.
3) Reset your phone. I reset to factory defaults, problem never came back

HTH