Hi all, I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Tablet in question is a Samsung Tab 2 7.0, not rooted, android 4.2.2. that we've had since it came out and used without issue. Today our 8 year old (in tears) said that the tablet prompted him to "do an update or lose everything" (I have no other info than this as he didn't show me). He clicked yes and now the majority of his game content is gone. I noticed the SD available storage is 26.52 when I'd expect it to be full--many games had been moved to the SD card (where enabled) and now he's lost the progress and in-app purchases. This applies to candy crush, subway surf and several others where he's used google play gift cards for coins, etc. Some apps work fine--Minecraft (the paid version) seems fine and music purchases remain. We can go into the Google account and see his balance ($8) and the purchase history.

Questions are: any idea what this update would have been? We have two of these tables and the tablet (same everything) is fine. Secondly, is there any way to retrieve the lost progress and gift card spend (about $50, thanks to generous grandparents)? I thought that we had the back-up / restore / etc enabled but apps don't seem to be restoring or more likely I'm not going about it correctly.

Many thanks for any assistance / direction.
    02-14-2015 08:30 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Poor guy. It's hard to say what kind of update that might have been, because official system updates (or security updates from Samsung) would never warn you to "update or lose everything." System updates are never supposed to affect user data--although there are instances mentioned on these forums where the SD card does seem to get corrupted occasionally during a system update.

Try unmounting the SD card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Run chkdsk to look for any bad sectors--if any are found, see if they can be recovered. [GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card
    02-15-2015 01:20 AM
    Hi B. Diddy and all, a quick update here in case you have an input (and please let me know if I should post this elsewhere). I apologize that this differs to what I wrote originally:
    The children and I went over all of the apps and noticed apps with coins/gems etc that were either earned or bought are all reset to start. This is for apps on both the sd card and hard drive, which I hadn't noticed originally (I checked only their favourite games).

Games that have levels or created material are fine--such as Minecraft is fine, my daughters fashion/designer outfit apps are fine as is all bought music. Any ideas behind this?
    I tried the "restore in app purchases" in Subway Surf and no luck. Re-linking to my facebook brought back the high score but of course no purchases or coins. At this point it's Subway Surf, Candy Crush, My Horse, Wonder Zoo, Nemo, and a few others that all have lost progress and purchases. Some of these were on the SD card and some were not. All were loaded from Play Store and most have a purchase history of coins or characters but I can't figure out what would have reset them and if there is any chance of getting $$ back.

Again-thanks for any input.
    02-17-2015 02:23 PM