Can I wifi tether and be on the wifi wlan network at the same time?

A

AC Question

Wifi Hotspot Question!

Hi, I want to do wifi tethering and be on that wifi wlan network same time with my device, so I can send and receive udp packages to my laptop(connected to device hotspot).

Is it possible somehow?

Im running 5.0.2 lollipop and the device is rooted.

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Wifi Hotspot Question!

I want to do the same thing. I have a Droid Turbo and I want screen cast to my Chromecast some TV recordings I have on a hard drive. My tablet struggles to keep the hard drive spinning over OTG, but my phone powers it just fine. Problem is, the Chromecast needs a WiFi network to connect to, so I turn on the hotspot on the phone. When I do that, I have to disable WiFi on the phone, so it can't see the Chromecast. I thought I could get this to work with my RAZR Maxx before, but I don't remember any more. Is there a way around this?

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

No, you can't. Once you turn on the WiFi tether, your WiFi connection terminates. It makes sense, if you have WiFi available, why would you tether instead of connecting your device to WiFi directly

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm tethering because home WiFi is not available. I'm turning on hotspot, so the Chromecast has something to connect to. Why can't the phone, which is the router for the network, be part of the network it created?

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

So, you want to chromecast from your phone on the tether network your phone creates? If that's the case, it is an interesting concept but I can't help with that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Yep, you got it. That's what Im trying to do. I believe that's about the same situation as what the OP wants to do also. I like to find the hard way of doing things. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781