Do I need to go to an att store and what does unlocked and locked mean?
    02-16-2015 12:57 PM
    Locked/Unlocked means that the carrier has restricted use of the device with any other SIM cards other than their own. And yes, to be able to use it with AT&T you'd need the device to be unlocked if it was bought on Straight Talk. I don't know, however, if their devices ship unlocked or not. The easiest way to find out is to insert an AT&T SIM card; if it's locked, it won't boot, it'll tell you it's locked.

If this is still being paid, the carrier will most likely NOT unlock it, but if you've paid for the device in full and it's not unlocked, the carrier where you bought can (and should) unlock it for free.
    02-16-2015 01:11 PM
    Assuming it was used on ST on AT&T, all you need is an AT&T SIM card. If it was used on ST TMobile, it needs to be unlocked. (If it's locked to TMobile and you put in in an AT&T SIM, it'll boot, but it'll ask for the unlock code. Since ST doesn't unlock phones, you'll have to buy an unlock code on eBay.)

If it was used on ST on Sprint or Verizon, it's probably not locked and should work. (The Sprint/Verizon version of the S4 does AT&T 3G, but not 4G.)

(Sprint is a virtual network - it uses AT&T, Sprint, TMobile or Verizon towers - so just saying "a ST S4" doesn't tell us which carrier it was used on.)

You need to go to an AT&T store, open an account, and have them put a SIM in the phone. Then you'll know what works and what doesn't. If the phone doesn't do what you need, you can either buy a different phone or tell them to cancel the whole thing. They won't charge you for an account you cancel in a few minutes. (Let them know in advance that you aren't sure it's going to work, so they don't get annoyed if you have to cancel. If they know, they're usually very nice about it. [I don't know if they're trained to act nice while they're cursing you inside, or AT&T just hires nice people, but their employees are one reason I pay more than I could with another carrier that gives me the coverage I need - and terrible tech support.])
    02-16-2015 10:45 PM