Why has my wifi strength gone down?

A

AC Question

Wi-fi issue after "maintenance"

I have an HTC One M7 and I dropped it and cracked the screen. I took it to a local repair shop and they fixed the screen but broke the bottom speaker (separate issue). Meanwhile after they opened it up to fix the speaker I started having issues with Wi-fi. If I am not like 10 feet from the router I get virtually no signal. I used to get and "excellent" signal any place in my house but now it's gone. I ran a speed test while sitting next to my wife. I was getting downloads of about 1mb/second meanwhile her phone was getting around 30mb. Same network virtually same location. Like I said this happened after they opened up my phone to work on it. I should note that the fist time they opened it there was a "SIM card error" that they had to fix before I could get ANY coverage from my provider (Verizon). My 4G works normally but I am having this Wi-fi issue. Any suggestions? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wi-fi issue after "maintenance"

Welcome to Android Central! I'd suspect that either the wi-fi antenna or its connection got damaged. Bring it back to that repair shop and ask them to look into it. Make sure they understand that the problem started when they opened it up--they shouldn't charge you for looking at it again, and ideally shouldn't charge you for fixing what they broke (although they could easily claim that the damage could have been from the drop).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay