Why is my Samsung Galaxy S5 givine me the error message media not found?

A

AC Question

Samsung Galaxy S5 media not found

I have transferred all my pictures to my sd card. When I opened my gallery as well as the card on my laptop many of my pictures I took several months ago are giving me the "media not found" error. All new pictures I take are showing up. Just some of the older pictures and videos. I have tried minitool data recovery software with no luck. I have read you can do a chkdisk on the sd card but it won't do that as my laptop tells me the media card is read only. HELP!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 media not found

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, we see a lot of SD card problems on these forums, often with Samsung devices. It might be a problem with the card, or with the device's interface with the card.

When you say that SD card is read only, are you actually removing the SD card from the phone and inserting it into the computer's SD reader? You can't run chkdsk on the card if it's still in the phone, connected via USB to the computer.

If you do remove the card, remember to Unmount it first in Settings>Storage​.

Boyce Eggert

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
When I hook my Samsung Galaxy s5 via USB cable it shows up as portable media player. I have gone into computer management to see if I could assign it a drive letter. No luck. How do I run chkdsk on on portable media player? Thank you!

Boyce Eggert

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
After talking to Verizon support they informed me that the S5 will not show up as a drive. I think they are wrong. I could of sworn when I first purchased this phone last summer a drive letter was assigned to the phone when plugged in via USB cable. I have also tried reinstalling the driver with the Samsung Kies 3 software to no avail!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When connected as an MTP device (which is the default), the phone should show up in Windows Explorer as an actual device (labeled S5). If you have a microSD installed, that might show up as a separate drive, but I'm not sure about that. Older devices that don't have unified storage (i.e., their internal storage is divided into an App Storage partition and an "Internal SD" partition) can connect as a "USB Mass Storage" device, which means they show up in Windows Explorer as a separate drive.