I have 3GB RAM Tab S 10.5 and the free spaces is 1.5GB (but sometimes 1GB and below). If the RAM is full, what will happened? And what should I do to reduce the usage of RAM?

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-22-2015 07:44 AM
    Android OS works best with full RAM. It will automatically make space if required, by throwing unused stuff overboard.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Knotek and Rukbat like this.
    02-22-2015 08:36 AM
    You can use apps for cleaning your RAM. I normally use "C-Cleaner" for cleaning my RAM and residual files. It is a nice app. You can try it.
    02-22-2015 09:33 AM
    DO NOT use any RAM memory cleaner/optimizer. They actually waste power, CPU cycles and can degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling RAM memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or other user assistance. Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    02-22-2015 11:14 AM
    I am not interested in clearing RAM for performance reasons. I just don't like the idea of a bunch of crap running in the background spying, tracking, and profiling me. With Android 4 there was a "CLEAR RAM" button in the Task Manager which I used frequently. Is there anything like that in this version, or should I just abandon the Android OS if I want to maintain my privacy?
    Thanks
    02-13-2016 05:37 PM
    With Android 4 there was a "CLEAR RAM" button in the Task Manager which I used frequently.
    Yup, there was. I'm still on Kitkat and it exists on my Note 10.1, but not on my Note 4, also on Kitkat. As for your "privacy"... you threw that out using Google and the Internet. I don't think there's a person alive that hasn't already lost their privacy, regardless of clearing running apps. Don't think for a minute that IOS is any "nicer" with keeping your privacy.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-13-2016 05:48 PM
    I was afraid of that. I generally avoid using anything related to Google and I'm sorry I bought this this large Samsung Tablet. I'll use it as a $800 dollar paperweight.
    02-13-2016 06:03 PM
    I was afraid of that. I generally avoid using anything related to Google and I'm sorry I bought this this large Samsung Tablet. I'll use it as a $800 dollar paperweight.
    I wouldn't give up yet. It's just a matter of accepting that "everything" tracks you one way or another, not just Google. It can't be avoided. It's not that I don't worry about it, or mind it, because I'm like you, I do mind it. But, this is the way it is now and we have no control unless we stop using the internet altogether.

Enjoy your tablet... it's great tablet! Seriously!
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-13-2016 06:27 PM
    Clearing RAM does 2 things - it increases battery usage and it slows the phone down.

If there's spyware, it's going to rerun as soon as you "clean RAM" - that's how apps like that are designed. Read Multitasking the Android Way. Cleaning RAM is actually one of the worst things you can do with Android - it's like running a RAM-eating program in Windows. (We used to write those to see how small a computer a program could function in.) It's running Android exactly opposite to the way it was designed to be run, and it's the least efficient way of running it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-13-2016 09:19 PM
    I am not interested in clearing RAM for performance reasons. I just don't like the idea of a bunch of crap running in the background spying, tracking, and profiling me. With Android 4 there was a "CLEAR RAM" button in the Task Manager which I used frequently. Is there anything like that in this version, or should I just abandon the Android OS if I want to maintain my privacy?
    Thanks
    The apps in RAM won't have access to anything they wouldn't have access to anyway, they pose no additional risk as a result.

For example, I have the CrashPlan app installed (I use it on my Mac, can view my account from the app). The CrashPlan app doesn't have access to Contacts so you should have no concern about that app running in the background and grabbing info about contacts when you open the Contacts app to add or view them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-13-2016 09:38 PM