I used to be able to charge my phone with my computer or laptop or anything that isn't a direct power port. But now I have to have it plugged into the wall outlet or battery pack for it to charge. When I plug it into a computer it will say its charging but it really isn't.

It used to give me options when I would plug it into a computer too, whether I wanted to use it as a charger, or transfer data or whatever but with the newest update it no longer asks that.

How can I get it so I can charge the phone with other devices once again?
    02-22-2015 12:24 PM
    I used to be able to charge my phone with my computer or laptop or anything that isn't a direct power port. But now I have to have it plugged into the wall outlet or battery pack for it to charge. When I plug it into a computer it will say its charging but it really isn't.
    If the battery is old, it probably can't supply enough power to power the phone very well, so most of the "charging" current is actually being used to run the phone. With a wall charger, th phone can draw more current, so there's enough for the battery to get some charge. (The indication that the battery is charging is actually an indication that current is flowing into the charging port. Where it goes is decided by what's called Kirchoff's Law, and that's about as controllable by the manufacturer as gravity is.)

It used to give me options when I would plug it into a computer too, whether I wanted to use it as a charger, or transfer data or whatever but with the newest update it no longer asks that.
    That was, IIRC, up to 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. Now you only get the choice of MTP, PTP or Media Device. Plugging into a power source always sends current into the power pins of the port. (Whether that charges or not depends on what I said above.)

How can I get it so I can charge the phone with other devices once again?
    It's probably time for a new battery. The phone is over 2 years old. Unless you were careful to condition the battery before first use, then never let it fall below 40% charge, it's well past its lifespan.
    02-22-2015 06:45 PM