Recommend an inexpensive place to mail my phone to get the display replaced?

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 screen died last week. I do not want to pay $200 that my local shops are quoting me.

I might be able to fix it myself if I could make sure it was only the display and not something else as well.

The display starting getting "lines" through it a few weeks ago, then last week, the screen just went black. It flickers on very slightly and intermittently. I can boot to recovery mode (Philz), but it still flickers and is off more than it is on.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 screen died last week. I do not want to pay $200 that my local shops are quoting me.
They're quoting that because they're experienced, and will give you back a phone that works.

I might be able to fix it myself if I could make sure it was only the display and not something else as well.
A lot of people have come here after thinking that, asking why the phone doesn't work in one way or another. It's because they don't have the experience to do it correctly. (Don't believe the Youtube videos that tell that this is the first time the guy ever tried to replace a screen. I've trained good techs, and not one of them got the first one right. It takes experience.)

The display starting getting "lines" through it a few weeks ago, then last week, the screen just went black. It flickers on very slightly and intermittently. I can boot to recovery mode (Philz), but it still flickers and is off more than it is on.
That could be something on the motherboard, rather than the screen. A shop would check that before just slapping in a new screen (which is what a cheap place would do) and giving you back a non-working phone with a new screen. (Even a loose or defective connector could cause what you describe.)

What you're paying for is experience and knowledge. If you want to pay someone inexperienced, with very little knowledge, that's your choice, but be aware of what you're paying for - it's not the same thing you're paying $200 for.

(Just search eBay for s4 screen repair. Some of the better ones are as cheap as $140 - plus shipping and insurance both ways - which is pretty close to $200 when you're done, and if there's a problem, you have to argue over the phone, you can't just walk it in.)