Is there a speech to text app that doesn't do anything else?

A

AC Question

Looking for a speech to text app that doesn't do anything else

I'm trying to help my deaf brother find a voice to text app that isn't cluttered up with anything else. He only wants to use it so other people can communicate with him, as in a restaurant or a store. He can speak, but has lost his hearing. Everything I've found has mail, search and stuff that only complicates the simple use he needs to make of it.

Please help.

Gordon

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Looking for a speech to text app that doesn't do anything else

I'm trying to help my deaf brother find a voice to text app that isn't cluttered up with anything else. He only wants to use it so other people can communicate with him, as in a restaurant or a store. He can speak, but has lost his hearing. Everything I've found has mail, search and stuff that only complicates the simple use he needs to make of it.

Please help.

Gordon

Use Google Now. It does a little more, but sends messages via voice command as well. The alternative is to open the keyboard and select the microphone icon to verbalize the text. He'll still have to hit the send button but entering text verbally will work just fine.

SanteeSlim

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your response. I tried Google Now, but - again - it fills the screen on the phone with search information. What would be ideal is a screen with only a "start" and "stop" and "delete" key. I don't know how to pull up just the keyboard to get the mic icon and then get rid of the keyboard.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Dragon is probably the best, but it writes the text to something - you have to be running a text editor or email app or something that needs text input. If you're going to do that, you might as well just use the SwiftKey Keyboard - just press the mic icon and it takes speech input. (You can't "pull up just the keyboard to get the mic icon and then get rid of the keyboard" with any app - speech to text has to be running an app that needs text input - and text input brings up a keyboard.)

Someone could probably write an app to do what you want (it's not a difficult program), but I've never seen one. Something with just a blank page and a mic button. Press the button and speech gets displayed on the page, scrolling up as it fills the page.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae