Why does my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact rear camera turn black when I try to use it?

A

AC Question

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact rear camera issue

Hey,

Whenever I try to use the rear camera the display turns black while only showing the HUD. The HUD works fine, but the camera doesn't work at all. Nothing is blocking it either.

When switching camera modes (to slow-mo for example), an error pops up saying that the "camera is not available".

IMPORTANT NOTE: The front facing camera is working perfectly fine.

Things I tried to do (aside from shipping it for repair):
1. Android repair via the PC companion software
2. Internal reset
3. Safe mode
4. Clearing cache files for the built-in camera app
5. Installing an alternative camera app (the built-in one was disabled)

Anyway to avoide shipping it off for repair? The reason is that there is only one (100% reliable) lab in my country that fixes Sony smartphones and it just bums me out to do it :(

Thanks!

Shaka Wright

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Second Z3 Compact I've owned and same problem. There's also an issue with the torch quick icon that doesn't allow it to turn off the backlight, this all seems to be software related yet no fix, not even reset! Sony need to recall this phone or come up with a solution.

AMichelena

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Z3 compact. The issue started happening on the 11th month of my one year warranty, I sent it for repair (14 business days y + shipping time back and forth). It came back with the same issue. Sent it back right away. After another three weeks without my phone, I got it back. Guess what? EXACT SAME ISSUE!

I called their support line explaining what happened, the guy told me that there is nothing they can do about it since my warranty expired. Of course they didn't have in consideration that I sent my phone before it expired and it took about seven weeks back and forth. There wasn't any sort of damage on my phone, was never dropped or damaged in any way, I never submerged it even if in theory, that would be ok. The report said "it has reviewed the functioning of the unit, unfortunately the defect is in the PCB so it is not able to undergo repairs to it."

The guy on the phone told me what he thought the report meant. It means there is damage on the main board(not caused by me) and the one year warranty manufacturer warranty department won't repair it. Maybe, if I had bought the 2 year "extended" warranty, they could do something about it. I asked if the issue is that my one year warranty was expired or if it is something that they just don't fix unless you get the "extended" warranty. He couldn't answer me and the only thing he said was "is there anything else I can help you with?"

From what I understood, there are two completely different departments, the one year manufacturer warranty that only cover some things. Not even sure what, because if it's broken screen, water damage or any physical abuse, they won't fix it. If it's a problem with the main board or PCB, they won't fix it either. It is a mystery to me what gets fixed in that department. The other department is the 2 year extended warranty. I'm not sure what they are willing to fix there, but from what they guy on the phone told me, it's more than the one year regular warranty.

Long story short, after two trips to FedEx, at least 8 hours total on phone calls, more than 7 weeks without my phone, I ended where I started. Sorry Sony, never again. Worst customer support I have ever experienced.

BTW, I tried everything before sending to the repair center. Restore, firmware updates, downgrade, change to main storage instead of SD, clear cache...

Heaika

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Same problem occured here just reccently. Back camera doesnt work, black screen. If I try to take a picture it saves a broken jpg file.

Funny thing.. I have 6 broken Xperia Z phones in my drawer.. None have been eligible for repairs..

Never Sony again, ever.

CNTSMN

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Same issue. Camera app opens with black screen on rear camera. Front camera is fine and the light stays on with the torch. I don't think it's hardware related more updates in relation to software or firmware causing these issues. I've tried everything else short of sending it in and it's only started over the last 2 days.

Getting sick of paying a tonne of money for a phone that won't last.

RandomRash

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I purchased the phone end of january and now the front camera is not working, just over month brand new. I have tried a number of fixes I found online but none of them have resolved the issue. The front camera icon does not show, selecting AR mask or style portrait (which uses the front camera) returns an error message, camera not available or camera not available, flashlight or camera may be in use by another application. Close it and try again.

Fixes attempted;

Clearing camera cache
Powering on in safe mode
3rd party camera application (front camera icon does not show)
Factory reset
_20160307_230911(1).JPG

c-mar1

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
For me i did fix it.
I did a Nandroid backup for my black Z3 compact (camera works properly) an restored it on my new White Z3 compact (also camera woks fine). after restoring the white z3c rear camera shows black screen, the front one is good.

=> i did a format factory reset : didn't work.
=> flashed a TFT file : didn't work.
=> flashed a D5803_23.4.A.1.232_Customized FR.ftf : IT WORKS !

and then i remembered that my phone was from "SFR" , a french network provider.
i home this helps :)

Toopresh

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I had same problem for a period of time on my xperia x...wat I did was to gain access to my root softwares by rooting with kingroot,I then deleted the album and installed a new one and the camera started working fine....PM for further explaination

Last edited by a moderator:

hiki shiro

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
okay, i had the same problem. i disabled the camera app, and i use Open Camera. Eventually, even in whatsapp, i am able to use my rear camera. i did not managed to figure the source of the problem tho.

red0

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
OMG !!!! Huge thanks from Hungary! I tried your little hack and both of my cameras are working perfectly! I was suffering for weeks!!
If somebody still has the black camera problem, try to press down volume and on/off button in the same time, and swich to volume up :)

croctoy

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I am having the same problem, tried your way "switching off while holding volume down button" and "switching on holding volume down button" but it doesn't work. To switch off self phone I have to first hold a power button for a while to show a menu, than I click on switch-off holding volume down button. Is that what you recommend, or I am doing something wrong? :) As somebody here suggested, posted video would be of help. Thank in advance.

krazypod

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Maybe, if I had bought the 2 year "extended" warranty, they could do something about it. I asked if the issue is that my one year warranty was expired or if it is something that they just don't fix unless you get the "extended" warranty. He couldn't answer me and the only thing he said was "is there anything else I can help you with?"

From what I understood, there are two completely different departments, the one year manufacturer warranty that only cover some things. Not even sure what, because if it's broken screen, water damage or any physical abuse, they won't fix it. If it's a problem with the main board or PCB, they won't fix it either. It is a mystery to me what gets fixed in that department. The other department is the 2 year extended warranty. I'm not sure what they are willing to fix there, but from what they guy on the phone told me, it's more than the one year regular warranty..

I have a z3 compact same problem but it's standard to automatically have 2 year Warrenty with Sony... Sadly mine just happened 2 years and 1 day after I brought it.

Charlie Thorrington

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
i have exactly same problem with my z3c, and am very disapointed with sony. i am very careful with my phone, having cases, screen protectors etc, but in the 22 months which ive had it, ive had 4 small cracks, one large crack, which made the screen go dead, and one shatter which also made the screen go dead meaning i have had to get new screens twice. and sony phones are hard to repair so it cost me £90 each time to get it fixed. the headphone jack has broken, the waterproof seal has broken where the charging port is, and now the flap has fallen off completely, and now the camera has gone. very disapoined with sony as i expected better from such a highly regarded company, and considering the high price. very disapointed and i will be steering well away from sony when i upgrade. STAY AWAY!

Karelli1

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Same problem with the rear camera Xperia Z3 compact here. The truth is that I have the rear glass of the phone broken (eventhough not aware of dropping the phone) so I suspect it is really hardware problem in my case. The symptoms are identical to the ones described above though including the flashlight problem. I've tried all the software tricks to put it back to work without success. So it has to be hardware

Gazc 85

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
My camera is doin the exact same thing, was working fine then randomly last night the screen went black as of a finger was covering the lens, the pics taken would have a crack through them, i have a tiny crack over my proximity sensor but i know it aint that, this happened on my z1 compact also, i wont evee buy a sony again, i have just threw my phone across the room and got the old lumia out