02-21-2017 03:30 AM
40 12
tools Reply
    Hey,

Whenever I try to use the rear camera the display turns black while only showing the HUD. The HUD works fine, but the camera doesn't work at all. Nothing is blocking it either.

When switching camera modes (to slow-mo for example), an error pops up saying that the "camera is not available".

IMPORTANT NOTE: The front facing camera is working perfectly fine.

Things I tried to do (aside from shipping it for repair):
    1. Android repair via the PC companion software
    2. Internal reset
    3. Safe mode
    4. Clearing cache files for the built-in camera app
    5. Installing an alternative camera app (the built-in one was disabled)

Anyway to avoide shipping it off for repair? The reason is that there is only one (100% reliable) lab in my country that fixes Sony smartphones and it just bums me out to do it

Thanks!
    02-23-2015 04:14 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! That really sounds like a failure of the sensor. You've already tried everything I would think of. Did this just start? Do you recall any recent drops or other trauma? Or water exposure?
    02-23-2015 10:21 PM
    I have the same problem with my Z3 compact. The rear camera displays as black. The user interface features seem to work but there is no image coming through the camera. There seems to be a small clicking noise coming from the phone when attempting to use the rear camera. The front camera is working perfectly well when I switch to it. I had dropped my phone 2 weeks before this issue first arose. The drop caused a small crack to start in the bottom left hand corner of the back glass.

I would like to know if anyone knows exactly what the problem is. I have ordered replacement glass and a new rear camera - I will post anything I discover about this problem.
    03-04-2015 07:12 AM
    Seems like same problem with my xperia z3 compact... tried everything i know, camera is not even detected in AnTuTu Benchmark or CPU-Z applications... Please HELP !
    03-24-2015 08:21 PM
    Same problem happened to me.
    Back camera is not workin.
    New phone, Been using it for a week only.

I'm in Africa far away from an option to fix it.
    Hope to find a solution
    04-17-2015 05:29 PM
    I have the same issue but I can get the camera to work by pressing on the back of the phone near the led. To me that confirms a hardware problem.
    05-09-2015 11:29 AM
    Do u have Android 5.0 lollipop? If u have, try downgrade it to kitkat or lower
    05-18-2015 08:01 AM
    Anyone get this looked at? I just bought a z3c off kijiji and didn't test the camera. It's just showing black, front works fine.
    06-18-2015 09:34 PM
    Same problem here, I hope it's not a hardware issue
    07-27-2015 09:27 AM
    Yeah same here it's all black now, worked fine during the evening, did a bunch of timelapses and when walking home it was just black, also reacts when I swipe my finger in front av the censor and I see red-light (see through from my finger) and / or double exposure or just black.

Also front camera works fine.

Any body knows what have happened?
    Kindly regards
    07-27-2015 05:43 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing. I dont wanna do a factory reset if it doesnt even fix it. How is there no solution to this? Seems to be a common problem with Sony's and there's nothing on the net to fix this.
    07-28-2015 03:29 AM
    Mine is the same,but the full sized z3. I took it to get repaired and they said it was common and it'd cost 100 to repair. I'm looking at other ways.
    08-14-2015 06:45 AM
    yoh, i had the same problem. i installed the slow motion mode and one more, i guess time lapse or somethin, and my rear camera turned black while front camera and everything else worked, i uninstalled the slow motion and time lapse and the camera started to work again in 2 days. i guess i restarted my Z3 during those 2 days. give it a try, may be the slo mo is som kind of bug..
    glernern31 likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:37 AM
    I'm having the same problem my front camera is working absolutely fine as well as everything else but my rare camera isn't and I haven't dropped it and now water has gotten to it
    09-04-2015 04:14 AM
    Same problem from 1 week. Absurd!
    Waiting for a fix
    09-07-2015 04:45 PM
    Same issue here, brand new phone.. Main camera shows black screen. Get some errors as others mention above. Is there a fix that I missed reading this forum? Thank you in advance.
    09-12-2015 03:08 PM
    I have the same problem tried everything no fix so far

anyone had luck fixing this?
    09-17-2015 06:42 PM
    Same here! Stopped working second week from no reason.-.-
    09-22-2015 08:59 AM
    How do you uninstall it? The slow motion stuff?
    10-14-2015 11:47 PM
    Hi everyone
    I have this same problem. Rear camera is black but front work perfect. I tried everything: restore, downgrade, upgrade, change camera for new one etc. Is someone fix this problem already? Is this a hardware problem?
    10-20-2015 05:16 PM
    Second Z3 Compact I've owned and same problem. There's also an issue with the torch quick icon that doesn't allow it to turn off the backlight, this all seems to be software related yet no fix, not even reset! Sony need to recall this phone or come up with a solution.
    11-01-2015 06:52 AM
    Did anyone find a solution did you have to replace camera ???mine has the flash light issue too
    01-01-2016 02:50 PM
    I have the same issue with my Z3 compact. The issue started happening on the 11th month of my one year warranty, I sent it for repair (14 business days y + shipping time back and forth). It came back with the same issue. Sent it back right away. After another three weeks without my phone, I got it back. Guess what? EXACT SAME ISSUE!

I called their support line explaining what happened, the guy told me that there is nothing they can do about it since my warranty expired. Of course they didn't have in consideration that I sent my phone before it expired and it took about seven weeks back and forth. There wasn't any sort of damage on my phone, was never dropped or damaged in any way, I never submerged it even if in theory, that would be ok. The report said "it has reviewed the functioning of the unit, unfortunately the defect is in the PCB so it is not able to undergo repairs to it."

The guy on the phone told me what he thought the report meant. It means there is damage on the main board(not caused by me) and the one year warranty manufacturer warranty department won't repair it. Maybe, if I had bought the 2 year "extended" warranty, they could do something about it. I asked if the issue is that my one year warranty was expired or if it is something that they just don't fix unless you get the "extended" warranty. He couldn't answer me and the only thing he said was "is there anything else I can help you with?"

From what I understood, there are two completely different departments, the one year manufacturer warranty that only cover some things. Not even sure what, because if it's broken screen, water damage or any physical abuse, they won't fix it. If it's a problem with the main board or PCB, they won't fix it either. It is a mystery to me what gets fixed in that department. The other department is the 2 year extended warranty. I'm not sure what they are willing to fix there, but from what they guy on the phone told me, it's more than the one year regular warranty.

Long story short, after two trips to FedEx, at least 8 hours total on phone calls, more than 7 weeks without my phone, I ended where I started. Sorry Sony, never again. Worst customer support I have ever experienced.

BTW, I tried everything before sending to the repair center. Restore, firmware updates, downgrade, change to main storage instead of SD, clear cache...
    01-13-2016 08:55 PM
    Same problem occured here just reccently. Back camera doesnt work, black screen. If I try to take a picture it saves a broken jpg file.

Funny thing.. I have 6 broken Xperia Z phones in my drawer.. None have been eligible for repairs..

Never Sony again, ever.
    01-16-2016 05:34 PM
    Same issue. Camera app opens with black screen on rear camera. Front camera is fine and the light stays on with the torch. I don't think it's hardware related more updates in relation to software or firmware causing these issues. I've tried everything else short of sending it in and it's only started over the last 2 days.

Getting sick of paying a tonne of money for a phone that won't last.
    03-03-2016 07:09 AM
40 12