Why don't I get notifications when Messages app is open?

A

AC Question

No notification when Messages app is open

When the Messages app is up and I receive a text message, there's no notification sound. (No issues when the screen is off or when I have another app up). Is this something I can enable, or is this the way things have to be with Android? (Recent switch from Apple).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: No notification when Messages app is open

Welcome to Android Central! I think that's how it's meant to be. If you have the Messaging app open, no notifications occur because you're actually looking at the app as the messages come in.

Mark Nielson2

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I also have this problem. When I am using the default Messages app on Samsung Galaxy S5, 4.4.4 Kitkat, and I am texting with someone and their chat window is open, I do not receive any notification sound when I receive their messages. The bubble just pops up with no notification sound or vibrate. Very annoying as I have missed responses when I simply put down the phone after sending a message. There is no other problems with notifications if I backout of the conversation window or switch to another app. This problem only occurs when I am actually in the conversation chat window. Unfortunately, I may not be "actually looking at the app as the messages come in"; I usually put my phone back in the holster or set it down. Samsung support chat confirmed what B Diddy surmised. You will now NOT get notification sounds when you are in the chat window of your device. We all need to escalate this issue and ask them to restore this in a later version - make it a setting/option.

bkempany

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

There are 3 people in our house with Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, 2 on AT&T and 1 on Boost Mobile, all 3 have this issue, and it a fairly new problem (the last couple of months). We have had the AT&T phones for over a year, and I have always been able to keep a conversation open and get a sound notification when a new message comes in. Something has changed....