My phone shuts off and turns back on several times a day without me doing anything. Is this normal for this phone? I have only had it a little over a month.
    02-25-2015 12:32 PM
    Generally speaking, there could be many possibilities for this.

I would try looking through the forum using the search bar, I'm sure your not the first to experience this.
    Reasons for this to happen could be anything from faulty hardware, probably a bad battery,
    Maybe the CPU is overheating from a temperamental app/apps or even bad software.

Trial and error, but you could try booting the phone in safe mode, which disables most apps and wait and see if it restarts.

If you can't fix it, I'd imagine the phone will still be in warranty and you have every right to contact the carrier and let them know of the problem, presuming you haven't invalidated your warranty by rooting/damaging the phone.
    02-25-2015 12:55 PM
    Two possibilities come to mind. Look in the battery in Settings after it turns on the next time. Tap the graph at the top to get to the next page.

Look for a "fall off the cliff" - IOW, a drop in just about zero time to just about zero voltage, then the voltage is back where it was, or a little lower. If you see that, it's a bad battery. Lithium batteries grow things called dendrites (search lithium battery dendrite and you'll learn more than you want to know about them). They're basically crystals growing across the battery, shorting it out. The short draws enough current to cause the phone to restart or even turn off, and also blows the crystal like a fuse, leaving you wondering what happened. You can try to convince the carrier to replace the battery under warranty (it's certainly a "manufacturing defect" - it's a decision in design defect to use lithium batteries, knowing that a certain small percentage will fail this way - even though there's no decent option at the moment unless you want to carry a 5 pound lead-acid battery around), but most of the time you won't get far trying that, even if you print up a few web pages showing that it's a known fault.

The good news is that a good quality replacement S5 battery is only $12 (plus shipping unless you need some other stuff - I order cat litterbox supplies at the same time I order anything else - that alone is over the free shipping point). See http://www.amazon.com/2800mAh-Batter...cUvbUpU4252613 for the battery.

The other possibility is an intermittent power switch. If you hold the power switch in long enough, the phone will restart. (It's a kinda-sorta battery pull - it doesn't reset hardware, like a real battery pull and power switch press does, but it fully reboots the phone.) If that's happening, the phone is under warranty - back up EVERYTHING you don't want to lose, and bring the phone in for a repair or replace.
    02-25-2015 05:53 PM
    My phone shuts off and turns back on several times a day without me doing anything. Is this normal for this phone? I have only had it a little over a month.
    Mine was resetting in my pocket, in my bouncy truck, and when I would gently tap it against my palm right on the camera. . A factory reset did nothing, three different batteries didn't help it, so tmobile ran a diagnostic test at their store. Phone passed all the tests, but clearly had a hardware short somewhere. It was replaced under warranty.
    02-25-2015 08:04 PM
    ok, so I went through all of the steps; first got a new phone, did not fix the problem, second replaced the battery, still did not fix the problem, finally I was out of options so I pulled the memory card and bingo the problem went away. put in a new micro sd and no problem. so if all else fails pull the card, it might be corrupted and the reason for all of your headaches.
    11-24-2015 02:19 PM