Why does my tablet have 2 "Internal Storage"s (main w/ 1 GB) and How to Fix?
03-03-2016 07:17 PM
- Okay, I really need help, I can't figure this out.
I have an off-brand Nuvision TM1088 tablet. It has 16 GB of storage claimed.
When I go to storage I see 2 "Internal Storage"s. The first is a measily 1GB and that apparently is where the tablet wants to save all of my apps and everything other than my media. The 2nd seems to be the meat of the machine being about 11 GB (10.75). What the heck... I have a Nexus 7 and when I go to storage there is a Single beautiful 14 GB partition, and that is it.
So my question, can I merge these 2 storages? Or can I at least make the larger of the 2 what my device defaults too? The problem I am running into is even after a clean Factory reset once all the Google Programs take up their share of the 1 GB I am left with about 200-400 MB of space for apps, so after just putting a handful of apps on the machine I get the error from the Play Store telling me I have no more storage available so I cannot download any more apps even though I have 10+ GB free on my other "Internal Storage" which the tablet won't use.
When I first got the tablet I did root it to remove some annoying bloatware, I used King O Root and Titanium Back Up mostly. Maybe the root is part of the issue? I dont know.
When I use ES File Explorer to navigate my device the 2 "Internal Storages" actually appear a little different, I believe the larger of the 2 "Internal Storages" is actually being classified as an SD Card for some reason. There are no SD cards in the device... That 10 GB is definitely part of the machine.
Any help you guys could give me, I tried to unroot the device, but King O Root cannot unroot so I am stuck with it rooted for now. I am looking at this walkthrough on Youtube and thinking of maybe trying it out... "How to increase internal memory of an Android tablet"
Picture showing 2 "Internal Storage"s. You can see the main one is only 1 GB and basically full with stock Google Apps.02-26-2015 05:08 PM
- Welcome to Android Central! It's because the tablet is partitioning its main internal storage into two partitions--a smaller one that is likely being used to install apps (and since it's pretty small, you won't be able to install many), and a larger one that acts as an "internal SD card." Unfortunately, you can't change how things are partitioned.
See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html02-26-2015 10:32 PM
- B. Diddy, thank you so much for the quick response. Funny I had read that guide a few times already it seems to be the Holy Grail of storage issues and I see it referenced a lot in the forums, unfortunately it does not really solve my issue as it doesn't get into the nitty gritty technical aspects of partitioning. It gives a great overview of how storage is set up, but not really how to change it.
I can't believe that my device (which is a $200 tablet sold on HSN.com with a 4 star review) only has 1 GB of storage for applications. I have to believe either I have broken something, or something broke and there is a way to fix it. I would re-flash my device back to manufacturer settings, but they don't even have the stock image anywhere accessible on the Nuvision Support Site.
Can you think of anything I can do to try to drill further into this?02-27-2015 01:27 PM
- To be honest, I wouldn't trust reviews on HSN.com--it's not exactly a go-to place for tech enthusiasts.
What Android version is it running? The setup your device has was not too uncommon a couple of years ago. My old Razr Maxx (that was updated to Jellybean) was stuck with its Internal Storage partitioned into a 3 GB App Storage area and about 10 GB of "Internal SD" The other 3 GB was taken up by the system.
I can't really solve your issue, because it's how your system hard-wired. Sorry! I know this is too little too late, but this is one of the reasons I never recommend off-brand devices. One of the potential downsides is outdated technology.02-27-2015 03:20 PM
- Welcome to Android Central! You should create a new thread for your question, since it isn't directly related to the original post of this thread. You're more liable to get good answers that way.
Make sure you specify which device you have. For now, you can try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, and Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager. Now try again.03-01-2015 12:09 AM
- Quick Update, I am sending the device back to the manufacturer, Nuvision, where they claim they will merge the 2 partitions... Only time will tell if this is true. Of course I have to pay for shipping, so maybe its just more good money after bad.
Their phone support is attrocious, it went like this:
Told tech I had a problem, tech told me to factory reset (I believe he would have given me this answer if I had told him I didn't like my background wallpaper...), I did reset because I was desperate, of course nothing was fixed, called support back because tech wouldn't wait on phone with me while device was reset, told support it still was broken and asked for them to digitally send me a fresh image as one isn't provided on their support site, tech told me to send device in as that is all they could do for me..... So if you own a Nuvision your options for support are to factory reset it or send it in... that's it!
And yes I would never generally buy an off-brand tablet, but I took a chance on this one because I got it second hand, but brand new still in package for a great price and the reviews were pretty good across the board. I bought it and a 2nd Gen Nexus 7 at the same time, let me say the Nexus is a decision I am not regretting at this time!
I will keep you all posted.03-16-2015 09:56 AM
- I'm currently having the same problem on my tablet, they claimed 16GB of storage, which isn't usable. One partition (the main) has 1GB of space and the second partition which I can't seem to install apps on has about 14GB which is barely even touched. Does anyone know of a fix so I can use the 14GB instead of the 1GB? Any partition apps or methods? I really don't want to send my tablet to China for repartitioning and wait another month to receive my tablet.02-02-2016 04:35 PM
- Strafter, .... ALL,
Here is what I sent and received from the manufacturer, SKYTEX for my 7 inch SP736 tablet, Android 5.0 Lollypop.
The link they provided me with instructions and files to flash the system worked (with modification to the instructions).
This is the default software setup we have. If you want to make the storage into one, no partition. We have updated the software which you can download and reflash the OS.
Here is the link and instruction to format and update the software.
SKYTEX | SKYPAD 736 Product Support Overview - SKYTEX
From: Don Ruckman [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 11:20 AM
Subject: [Feedback from: SKYTEX]
Name: Don Ruckman
Message: I have a new Skytex Skypad SP736 (7" quad core) tablet, with Android 5.0 Lollipop pre-installed from Skytex. The internal storage (16GB) is partitioned as "Internal Storage", and "USB Storage". "Internal storage" is set to 2.36 GB, "USB storage" is set to 9.02 GB. Available space left in Internal Storage is ± 400 MB. This ts the storage area where apps are loaded and is too small to download many apps. I have moved some apps (those movable) to the "USB storage", cleared cache, and cleared data, to preserve some space (+/- 400MB) to download apps. Is this a normal situation?; my phone has 16GB of internal storage and is not partitioned. How do I fix this, for example force apps to load to the "USB storage" partition. Thanks you for your consideration, Don
******************************************03-03-2016 07:17 PM
- Get Help & Give Help!
- Ask a Question
Why does my tablet have 2 "Internal Storage"s (main w/ 1 GB) and How to Fix?
- By Android D in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 4Replies: 12Last Post: 12-01-2015, 10:52 AM
- By nonameguy in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 4Last Post: 02-28-2015, 01:44 PM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 02-27-2015, 07:10 PM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD