My S3 is about 17 months old. It's been overheating for a looooong time, to the point where after a while it's too hot to touch without hurting myself. I just kind of figured, maybe I have too many apps, maybe I use it too much, whatever, no biggie.

But about a week ago it developed a pretty serious issue. Most of the time when I try to use it, it has some weird grey/white flickering lines going across the screen (top to bottom). After about 10 seconds of flickering, it will freeze, and I have to take the battery out and put it in again. Then it will start up with 3% battery, and tell me it's on 100% and I need to unplug the charger.

The overheating has gotten worse recently too, in the past few weeks. It just has to be in my pocket and it'll get warmer and warmer. If I actually use it, then after about just 10 minutes it will be scorching hot.

I did some googling about the flickering, and people seem to suggest it's the fault of a "battery bulge", but I see no bulge in the battery. Would a poor battery explain all of this?
    02-28-2015 11:14 AM
    Welcome to the forums.☺

To answer your question, I personally judge that a bad battery could be the cause, but whether I'm right is a different matter....though it was my first thought. A battery can be bad, even though undistorted in shape. In a way it would be good if that is the cause of the trouble, since the fix is simple.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-28-2015 12:00 PM
    Welcome to the forums.☺

To answer your question, I personally judge that a bad battery could be the cause, but whether I'm right is a different matter....though it was my first thought. A battery can be bad, even though undistorted in shape. In a way it would be good if that is the cause of the trouble, since the fix is simple.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yeah, it'd be good if that is the case - a new battery is like $10 on Amazon.

Though assuming the phone is still under warranty, if it isn't the battery then I could get a better, new phone as replacement... :P
    02-28-2015 11:16 PM