Hello! I need your help with my mother's Moto G (XT1032). I bought this phone for my mother one month ago. The phone is new and is not rooted. The phone had the original Jelly Bean 4.3.

Yesterday, mom asked me to check her phone because it was "misconfigured". Indeed, the date and time were totally wrong; instead of February 27 at 8pm, it said it was March 28 at 4am. I saw the date/time settings and they seemed fine, so I just changed the settings to use the "net time". Problem solved. However, I noticed something ever weirder: the camera icon had been replaced by the Android icon. I tried to opened it and I got a message saying the application was not installed. I went to the applications, checked all the lists and the camera was, in fact, gone.

Mom said everything was alright in the morning, but sometime at noon, things changed. I checked the movements history in Avast and saw the phone had upgraded to KitKat 4.4.4 at noon, and the same history showed, after the upgrade, wrong times. KitKat installed "succesfully", though.

Then, I tried to download Motorola Camera from Play Store but I got the 101 error wjen installing, so no use (I could not fix this issue).

Mom told me that "sometime at noon" she was running out of battery so she pluged her phone and turned it off to charge it faster.

So this is my theory: mom turned her phone off while KitKat 4.4.4 was being installed, and even when the installation was "sucessful", it was corrupted. That is why time/date were off and camera got lost (as far as I know there is no way to uninstall a default app unless the phone is rooted).

My question is: will a factory reset or hard reset solve this issue? Will the camera return if I do the factory reset or hard reset? Will I be wasting my time? Are there other solutions?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

P.S: As far as I've seen, everything else is working ok. No data lost.
    02-28-2015 07:03 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Interesting problem, and good detective work! A factory reset is worth trying, but before you do that, try wiping the cache partition: https://motorola-global-portal.custh.../clear%20cache
    Muffinraptor likes this.
    03-01-2015 02:05 AM
    Thank you B. Diddy for your reply (as you can see, I am now registered).

I tried your suggestion wiping the cache partition but the problem persists. The camera did not return

Should I try the factory reset? I'm hesitating, because I don't kow if it will make an uninstalled app return, specially because there was a software update.
    03-01-2015 08:01 AM
    You could try a couple of things before factory reset. Is there any app in the "disabled" tab (settings - app)?

If everything else is working fine you can try to download a different camera app, for example Google camera, and see what happens.

There are different ways to fix that play store error, but most of them imply removing the account and adding it again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...error-t1688159
    Muffinraptor likes this.
    03-01-2015 08:49 AM
    Hi Javier, there are no apps in the disable tab.

I downloaded A Better Camera app (I read it was a good app) and it works fine. Phone can take pictures from whatsapp camera, too. Despite this being an alternative solution, it does not satisfy me because it really annoys me not being to find a solution for the specific problem. Plus, it is not normal that you have to use an alternative app because the default one is gone.

As for the 101 error, I tried the account emoval, but it didn't work. Keep getting the same error. Now, I guess it is not a problem with play Store itself, because I can download other apps (like the camera one), so the issue must be exclusively about motorola (default) camera. I read somewhere that sometimes error 101 could also be caused by incompatibility issues between the app and the software... *shrugs*
    03-01-2015 09:03 AM
    Very strange issue. You've done a great job trying to fix it and most likely your assumption is right. Something went wrong while upgrading.

I've read that sometimes Avast can do funny things. It's very unlikely that's your case but just in case boot the phone in safe mode and see if that helps.
    Muffinraptor likes this.
    03-01-2015 09:33 AM
    I did as suggested and started the phone in safe mode. Guess what... Camera was still missing.
    I think I'm gonna stick to alternative camera apps. It's not the ideal, but I'm not going to take my phone to service unless it's really broken. *sighs*
    03-01-2015 10:08 AM
    Did you try to install the app from the Play Store while on safe mode? Same error?

Just a thought. From the lockscreen you can open the camera. Is there any icon there (bottom right)? What happens if you tap on it?
    Muffinraptor likes this.
    03-01-2015 10:23 AM
    If this were a Nexus, I'd suggest flashing the factory image. This is the closest I could find for the Moto G: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Muffinraptor likes this.
    03-01-2015 12:03 PM
    Javier: I tried what you suggested, but I got the same 101 error installing Motorola Camera in safe mode. This KitKat must really hate the default camera.

Also, the camera icon in locked screen is not showing up anymore, even if I tap the right bottom corner, nothing will happen.

B. Diddy: Wow, that is a really hardcore thing to do. I'm scared I might screw up the phone, though
    03-01-2015 08:12 PM
    Yeah, I know--but the problem may be that the firmware got messed up during the interrupted system update. A factory reset itself won't always fix this kind of problem, but flashing the stock ROM might.
    Muffinraptor likes this.
    03-01-2015 08:43 PM
    Sorry, ran out of ideas. I agree with B. Diddy, not sure if a factory reset will fix that. Being a new phone wouldn't hurt much trying. Or you can take it to the shop/carrier and see if they can flash the rom. It's still under warranty.

Good luck and report back how it was.
    Muffinraptor and B. Diddy like this.
    03-02-2015 04:48 AM
    Thank you B. Diddy and Javier for your help!! If I ever solve this, I'll let you know
    B. Diddy and Javier P like this.
    03-02-2015 07:05 AM