Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
3.5 GB for Google Drive app on phone

Why does the Drive app use so much space on my Lollipop N5? All the pics, Play media, and anything else I can think of is 65% of my Drive space, and is not on the phone. Tia for some insight.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

What about multiple Google accts?

I checked each in Google Settings app for associated apps - no Drive app listed. How do I find my additional Drive accts? I would only have files for them on the device by accident, but it might be possible.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Yeah, I checked each Google acct from Drive app - each "on device" is listed as empty.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

What about multiple Google accts?

I checked each in Google Settings app for associated apps - no Drive app listed. How do I find my additional Drive accts? I would only have files for them on the device by accident, but it might be possible.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Good thought. To switch between accounts in Google drive you should have all of them added in your phone. They appear on the top of the side menu (in drive). Something there?

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

All your files should be stored in the cloud, so no worries there. You'll need to log in again and set you preferences.

When you uninstall an app ES automatically checks that no residual file is left behind. If that happens a little menu will pop up right after the uninstall finishes for you to confirm delete.

Thanks Javier. These instructions don't sound so radical to me. I'll try this later tonight if nothing else comes to light here.

Will report back with results.

Thanks all.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

That did it! Thank you. Now up to almost 5 GB of space.

If I understand correctly, unchecking the Sync box in Accounts -> Drive kept me from deleting the data from the cloud Drive account, during the Data delete in the phone's Drive app.

But, Cache can always be be deleted with no loss to original files?

From Nexus 5 via AC App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re:

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! Good job by Javier P to track that down.:)

Clearing cache is always safe, because by definition, cached data is temporary and non-crucial. It's really more for convenience, to speed up data access for the app.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

That did it! Thank you. Now up to almost 5 GB of space.

If I understand correctly, unchecking the Sync box in Accounts -> Drive kept me from deleting the data from the cloud Drive account, during the Data delete in the phone's Drive app.

But, Cache can always be be deleted with no loss to original files?

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Glad it helped mate.

I'm not sure about unchecking the sync. Clearing local data shouldn't delete cloud storage but things not always work as we wish :)

Maybe it's just an extra precaution, a bit unnecessary but worth checking. And most important, you don't want to risk losing some gigas of data just to make a point :)

See you around the forums.

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Glad it helped mate.

I'm not sure about unchecking the sync. Clearing local data shouldn't delete cloud storage but things not always work as we wish :)

Maybe it's just an extra precaution, a bit unnecessary but worth checking. And most important, you don't want to risk losing some gigas of data just to make a point :)

See you around the forums.

Hi there,

I'm running into same issue. My Google Drive Data is using approximately 15GB of my phone storage. I turned off Drive sync under Google accounts, however, nervous to press the Clear Data button because the confirmation message says, it will clear data, settings, databases, etc. I don't want my files deleted from the Google Drive.

Can anyone share their experiences what happened once you clicked the Clear Data button for Drive app?

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34