Can I get some help with a really weird WIFI problem?

A

AC Question

Really weird WIFI problem

Hi guys,

An extremely weird problem has started recently occurring on my phone (+ever since the Lollipop update). When connected to WIFI, WhatsApp can't download images, Banjo can't download images and my e-mail (POP3/SMTP) won't connect. Web pages in Chrome work fine. If I disconnect from WIFI and connect to my provider's 4G network, everything works fine. I've only tested this so far with my home WIFI network.

In terms of troubleshooting - I've rebooted the phone, reset the router and deleted the WIFI network only to reconnect. The issue still remains.

The WIFI network is working fine on all other devices in the household.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

I'm stumped

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Really weird WIFI problem

Welcome to Android Central! Try logging into your router's settings using your computer browser, and make sure there aren't any specific firewalls set. Also check to see if any general security settings are set to High, which might be blocking some traffic.

deejayf

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, this is not the issue. This is the scenario I'm facing at the moment.

WIFI ON
- HTTP works (All websites work)
- POP3/SMTP doesn't work (Cannot resolve/ping Hostgator's mail server)

WIFI OFF
- HTTP works (All websites work)
- POP3/SMTP works (Can resolve/ping Hostgator's mail server)

There are no device specific, filtering, socket or IP restrictions on the router. I can ping Hostgator's mail server from another device using WIFI meaning it is not blocked on the router side.

Other things I've tried to resolve this with no success;
- Cache delete (Power on/Volume button)
- Downloading multiple WIFI fix applications (which delete the WIFI profiles, reset internals etc)
- Assigning a static IP address instead of DHCP to the phone

This issue has started ever since the Lollipop update. Not only has it caused this issue but my battery is drained like no tomorrow. Not happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis