I have an XT912 running Jelly Bean, that is rooted. The phone is from the US - I am in the EU, and the phone works with an EU sim (as it it only locked to CDMA when in the US). I have rooted the phone, and would like to unlock the carrier so I can use the tethering function. I understand that once the phone is rooted, this is possible to do without going through the IMEI unlock, etc. While the US carriers have now passed a law to unlock all phones from carriers, in order for me to get this update, I would have to allow updates, which may jeopardize my root.
    Is there any way to use Terminal Emulator or similar in order to unlock the phone from the US carrier? Thanks!
    03-02-2015 11:48 AM
    would like to unlock the carrier so I can use the tethering function.
    One has nothing to do with the other, unless you have to use a different carrier to tether.

I understand that once the phone is rooted, this is possible to do without going through the IMEI unlock, etc.
    It's possible to thether with or without rooting, but that has nothing to do with SIM-locking.

While the US carriers have now passed a law to unlock all phones from carriers, in order for me to get this update, I would have to allow updates, which may jeopardize my root.
    You'd have to have a current account with thecarrier, you wouldn't have to have the update app running (or even still in the phone).

Is there any way to use Terminal Emulator or similar in order to unlock the phone from the US carrier? Thanks!
    No. You need the unlocking code.
    03-02-2015 03:25 PM