So I'm getting ready to get a new phone in a month or two and as this was my first Android phone I need to ask for advice on making the transition as smooth and painless as possible.

What is the recommended way of backing up and making sure I don't lose apps and data? Then getting them back on my new phone?

Going from Note 3 to probably S6 Edge, but not 100% sure yet, I just want to make sure all of my data and apps are safe before hand.

Also I am hoping AT&T will take my Note 3 as a trade in on the new phone so that will mean I'll need to do a factory reset, which means I definitely need to make sure all my stuff is safe.

Thanks on advance for any assistance.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-04-2015 11:40 PM
    You can back up your contacts to your Google account. Make sure they are set to sync with that, and signing in on the new phone will automatically transfer those over. Pics and videos can also be backed up to Google Photos, or a similar service like Dropbox.
    As far as game data, that's going to depend on the app. Not every app supports cloud saves, and last I checked, there wasn't an easy way to save data for apps that don't support it.

For factory reset, all you really need to do is that. It's highly unlikely anybody would be able to retrieve data from your phone after being wiped.
    03-05-2015 12:07 AM
    You can back up your contacts to your Google account. Make sure they are set to sync with that, and signing in on the new phone will automatically transfer those over. Pics and videos can also be backed up to Google Photos, or a similar service like Dropbox.
    As far as game data, that's going to depend on the app. Not every app supports cloud saves, and last I checked, there wasn't an easy way to save data for apps that don't support it.

For factory reset, all you really need to do is that. It's highly unlikely anybody would be able to retrieve data from your phone after being wiped.
    Ok I already sync all photos and videos to G+ and I just went in and made sure contacts etc were syncing top Google.

Since I also have a Nexus 7 I was able to make sure it's syncing up.

Thank you!

03-05-2015 12:16 AM
    Ok I already sync all photos and videos to G+ and I just went in and made sure contacts etc were syncing top Google.

Since I also have a Nexus 7 I was able to make sure it's syncing up.

Thank you!

No problem! Are there any games you play that need to be backed up or was it just that?
    03-05-2015 12:17 AM
    No problem! Are there any games you play that need to be backed up or was it just that?
    I'm not really worried about games. I do play clash of clans, but I don't care if I have to start over lol.

I'm more concerned about my Note app, Gnotes, but I have that set to sync and it's showing on my tablet so I think I'm good. This may be easier than I had thought.

It seems like everything just syncs thru the Google account. So once I sign into that on the new phone it should just pull apps all the apps and data over right?

03-05-2015 12:59 AM
    I'm not really worried about games. I do play clash of clans, but I don't care if I have to start over lol.

I'm more concerned about my Note app, Gnotes, but I have that set to sync and it's showing on my tablet so I think I'm good. This may be easier than I had thought.

It seems like everything just syncs thru the Google account. So once I sign into that on the new phone it should just pull apps all the apps and data over right?

For the Google Apps, yes. It will sync your old data. You may still need to download those that are not on the phone by default, but that should sync as well.
    03-05-2015 10:56 AM