Hi, so I'm a fairly new person to the android environment. I bought a One Plus One last year and have been sort of playing around with it, but I just really haven't gotten the right "feel" for it.

One of the issues is that I'm coming off of iOS, so the change from extreme limit to endless possibilities is a tad overwhelming, and I was hoping for advice on some of teh better ways to customize my android phone. Is all it takes is a launcher like Themer or something else and playing with it? My phone is running CM 11S (waiting on OTa for 12).

Also is there any way for the app stores to play nice? I mean like Humble Bundle/Google Play/amazon app store to be "organized" so they know that something is already installed on the phone? I like multiple ways to get free apps, but the lack of keeping tabs on things can make it less then ideal at times.

My second question and probably more easily answered is I need a replacement for my tablet. Currently I'm using an old ipad 2 that my school (yes I'm a teacher) is lending me, but the thing only has 16 gigs. Plus, with my transition away from iOS, I think it's easier to just have one ecosystem.

That being said, what's a good 10 inch (yes it needs to be similar to the ipad's dimensions) tablet that wont' break the bank? I saw the xperia z4 but that thing is way out of the price range. I was possibly considering a Z2 once the Z4 comes out so the price drops, but it's still in the higher end range. The OPO appealed to me cause it was high end specs at half the price, so I was hoping for a mid-tier tablet that would work.

Thanks for the help in advance!
    03-06-2015 01:55 PM
    One of the issues is that I'm coming off of iOS, so the change from extreme limit to endless possibilities is a tad overwhelming, and I was hoping for advice on some of teh better ways to customize my android phone. Is all it takes is a launcher like Themer or something else and playing with it? My phone is running CM 11S (waiting on OTa for 12).
    You can install any launcher, play with it, theme it and, if you don't like it, uninstall it. (Just don't uninstall the default launcher, so you always have something to go back to.) There are even themes to make the phone look like an iPhone.

Also is there any way for the app stores to play nice? I mean like Humble Bundle/Google Play/amazon app store to be "organized" so they know that something is already installed on the phone? I like multiple ways to get free apps, but the lack of keeping tabs on things can make it less then ideal at times.
    If you've installed something, Play Store shows Installed, instead of Install. Also Play Store and Appstore show the apps you've installed. They can't know that you uninstalled one, though. (We keep asking Google for better management of My Apps, but they keep ignoring us.)

My second question and probably more easily answered is I need a replacement for my tablet. Currently I'm using an old ipad 2 that my school (yes I'm a teacher) is lending me, but the thing only has 16 gigs. Plus, with my transition away from iOS, I think it's easier to just have one ecosystem.

That being said, what's a good 10 inch (yes it needs to be similar to the ipad's dimensions) tablet that wont' break the bank? I saw the xperia z4 but that thing is way out of the price range. I was possibly considering a Z2 once the Z4 comes out so the price drops, but it's still in the higher end range. The OPO appealed to me cause it was high end specs at half the price, so I was hoping for a mid-tier tablet that would work.
    I've never had an OPO product, but I've heard many good things about them. The problem is that they've already stated that "no one makes money with tablets", so don't expect one soon.

My personal preference, if you're not using it with a carrier, would be Samsung or Nexus. (Samsung and AT&T or Verizon is off my short list, my long list and my possibles list - I don't like my devices welded shut against me.)
    03-06-2015 04:23 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Hopefully, this will be of some use to you: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...id-2014-a.html. It's based primarily on KitKat, but most of the concepts are the same.

This is variable. There are times when installing an app from one source will make it show up as installed in the other source, but with a notation that it was installed from a different store. But in my experience, this doesn't always happen. It should be pretty easy to do a quick search of your phone for the app, though--just tap on the Google search bar, and type the name of the app. As long as your Google Search app is set to include your installed apps in its results, you can find it quickly.

The 10" tablets that are good will be made by Samsung, Asus, and Lenovo. Don't--repeat, DON'T--get one made by an obscure or off-brand company. Asus and Lenovo are more affordable, while Samsung has a wider range (the Tab 4 is cheaper but has fewer features than the flagship Tab S). I'm sure Sony tablets are high quality, but it always concerns me that Sony seems to forget about its products relatively soon after introducing them. The worries about how poorly its mobile division is doing don't help.
    03-06-2015 04:29 PM