Voice Mail/Mail/Text Notifications on Home Icons?

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S5 for a few months now. I moved over from an iphone which was the only smart phone I had owned. One thing I miss is that the icons on the home screen don't have the number pop up showing I have waiting messages. I know there are other notifications but I really prefer the little numbers that pop up in the corner of the icons. I'm talking about the icons you use to launch the apps from the home screen. For example, when I receive a text, I want the number of unread texts to appear in the corner of the text message app icon. I hope that makes sense. I might not be using the correct terminology. Is there a way to do this? I thought the phone did it when I first got it but I may have been mistaken. My carrier is Verizon if that matters.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's called badges, and the default browser in Samsung, TouchWiz, doesn't have them. A lot of us use Nova Launcher, and the paid version has a free badging addon. Look in the Play Store for launchers and see what you like and if any has badging in the free version. (I agree - I like seeing the numbers in the corners of the icons.)

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I believe I am using the "Google Now" launcher. At least it says it's installed on my phone. How can I tell what launcher I am using? If I switch to another launcher, will "OK Google" still work?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe I am using the "Google Now" launcher. At least it says it's installed on my phone. How can I tell what launcher I am using?
Run an app like Default App Manager Lite. Choose the launcher. It'll show you which ones you have installed. The second tab will show you which is the default one (the one you're using.)

If I switch to another launcher, will "OK Google" still work?
Yes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power